Sponsored by:

Need help diagnosing problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 07:30 PM
JMG
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help diagnosing problem

Hi i’ve been reading these boards for a long time and hoping the group can help me with a very strange issue with my Discovery.

I have a 2018 Discovery HSE Diesel (this is my second diesel LR). I am experience a very strange and alarming vibration or shutter that loudly shakes the entire frame of the vehicle. Everything vibrates harshly including the roof, seats, seat belts, etc. It often sounds and feels like when you drive over a ‘rumble strip’ on the highway.

I do long drives btw NY and New England and it always happens after several hours of highway driving when i slow down to 35-50 mph after exiting the highway. There is a severe and very loud vibration throughout the entire vehicle that comes and goes kind of in waves. This continues intermittently for the rest of the trip until I get home. It feels like it starts under the vehicle and works its way up to the roof.

When i am starting from a slow speed it also starts around 35 mph but doesnt cause the loud vibration and shaking. It is often just a low rumbling sound and a faint vibration only under the vehicle.

I have brought the vehicle to my service department and they are no help. I dont have much faith in them because they are usually pretty lazy and dont try very hard to fix anything. I usually have to go back several times for the same issue. In this case they cant replicate the issue when they do sort test drives and arent willing to offer any theories at all about what could be causing the problem.

In any case I am very concerned about driving with my family and having some sort of catastrophic failure in the transmission/drive train. The whole vehicle should not be vibrating and sounding like a helicopter.

I can confirm that the problem does NOT occur when braking or relate to issues with the tire balance or alignment.

Any feedback/thoughts on what this could be would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Is there a different dealer near your route that you could stop at when its having the issue, to get a fresh set of eyes on the problem when it’s occurring?

Old 11-05-2019, 08:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

I agree - find another dealer.
Also, I'm no expert, but torque converter popped into mind when you talk about shudder and vibration.

Old 11-16-2019, 08:12 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have an 03 disco that shudders when it shifts.....only after a long freeway drive. also, i think i detected this in my 17 tundra although its not as pronounced, only after a long freeway drive. i also think it has something to do with the torque converter. in the case of my disco it's been doing it for 100000 miles or so. it doesnt bother me anymore but i wonder what causes it

Old 11-16-2019, 01:56 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Try taking videos of it, then reach out to LR North America and explain how the dealer has failed to help your situation.

Old 03-04-2022, 09:16 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JMG
Hi i’ve been reading these boards for a long time and hoping the group can help me with a very strange issue with my Discovery.

I have a 2018 Discovery HSE Diesel (this is my second diesel LR). I am experience a very strange and alarming vibration or shutter that loudly shakes the entire frame of the vehicle. Everything vibrates harshly including the roof, seats, seat belts, etc. It often sounds and feels like when you drive over a ‘rumble strip’ on the highway.

I do long drives btw NY and New England and it always happens after several hours of highway driving when i slow down to 35-50 mph after exiting the highway. There is a severe and very loud vibration throughout the entire vehicle that comes and goes kind of in waves. This continues intermittently for the rest of the trip until I get home. It feels like it starts under the vehicle and works its way up to the roof.

When i am starting from a slow speed it also starts around 35 mph but doesnt cause the loud vibration and shaking. It is often just a low rumbling sound and a faint vibration only under the vehicle.

I have brought the vehicle to my service department and they are no help. I dont have much faith in them because they are usually pretty lazy and dont try very hard to fix anything. I usually have to go back several times for the same issue. In this case they cant replicate the issue when they do sort test drives and arent willing to offer any theories at all about what could be causing the problem.

In any case I am very concerned about driving with my family and having some sort of catastrophic failure in the transmission/drive train. The whole vehicle should not be vibrating and sounding like a helicopter.

I can confirm that the problem does NOT occur when braking or relate to issues with the tire balance or alignment.

Any feedback/thoughts on what this could be would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
i am really hoping you had clarity on this problem. I say this as i sit in a shop having them try to recreate the same issue i had with my 2018 Discovery.

Old 03-04-2022, 09:23 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This is kind of a shot in the dark, but intermittent/rhythmic vibrations are usually indicators of an unbalanced rotating assembly. Even things like bent wheels or damaged tires can cause this.

Since the OP commented about the sound emanating from the bottom of the vehicle, I would carefully check everything related to the driveshaft, including any flex disks or couplings, support bearings if present, and even potential damage to the driveshaft surfaces themselves.

Old 03-05-2022, 05:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

This car has several rotating assemblies, my for look would be at the CV joints on the axles. I regularly drive my td6 on long drives and have not experienced this issue. But, it seems every time one of these threads comes up it usually means my time is near.