New Discovery Owner (July 7th) - Page 3 - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

New Discovery V Talk about the new 2017 Land Rover Discovery

Old 08-11-2017, 07:14 AM

And a small but cool use for the air suspension. You can lower the rear of the car to help level the trailer if you don't want to unhook for the night. Discovered that last night and it savings 20 minutes of night and morning time not having to unhook.

Dave
Old 08-11-2017, 09:20 AM

Wow what a great review! I plan to comment more later but in an effort to try and help you. I found a funnel thing in the rear cargo area under the floor, where the spare tire would have been in the Touareg. I was thinking that might have something to do with helping fill the DEF fluid. Hope that helps! More later...
Old 08-11-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerTouaregFan View Post
Part 2

The onboard connectivity is via ATT cell and supports 3GB per month. All included with no monthly fee for the first 4 years. Plenty for all the live stuff like traffic and fuel prices. Also has Trip Advisor for locations you select and does a Google Street view-style view of locations as you arrive, or you can view maps as satellite view.

Connectivity has been spotty or takes a while to connect though, even in the Chicago area. We hop in the car to take off and it can be a few minutes before we can check traffic.

The app software is what I would call Alpha quality. All the App Store reviews are terrible. Remote start has worked only once so far, and it continually says the car is unlocked when it isn't. As a former software developer, this doesn't bother me as software can be fixed over the air and the car isn't out of service. There is already an update which I haven't tested yet and I'll have fun being an early Beta tester and bugging them. If they don't get it all fixed by winter then I'm sure myself and others will be screaming.

Wait! What! you got 4 years of free service!!!
Old 08-11-2017, 10:16 PM

TechDr - I found a funnel thing too, but I've been using it as an adapter for large nozzle (for trucks) diesel pumps. Such a pain to stop for diesel and it is the truck nozzle, but the adapter works. I had one for the TDI too, but think I bought it, VW didn't supply.

Have figured out how to use regular DEF jugs. Have to let the Discovery system burp to let the air out every pint or less. Can't just load an entire jug like on the TDI. But pretty easy now that I've figured it out.

To get up the steep gravel road to my place in Wyoming with the trailer, I used the off road gravel setting and low range for the first time. Made it without issues. Also handled the washboarding much better than the 2004 Ford Bronco I keep there. And, I used the air suspension to lower way down so that the trailer rear end was up higher when I backed in over a big mound. Not sure I would have made it without that capability. The air suspension I didn't originally think I wanted, I'm finding more useful than I thought. Going to do some forest service roads soon and I may really like it there.

And has anyone else noticed that white seems to be the most common color? Mine is too.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:13 AM

Yes, the dealer said they come with 4 years included connected services. Didn't appear to be a dealer thing, since I never went into the dealer to negotiate. Just emailed dealers within 500 miles until I got a good price on the vehicle and then went in with a cashiers check for a quick no-fuss transaction.

I am curious if anyone has purchased extended warranty coverage yet and for how much. I haven't since that dealer quoted about $5k, which is more than double the TDI cost, and they said no need now, and it will go up about 10% per year.