New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Discovery Owner (July 7th)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 04:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

To this day I still havent seen a new Discovery on the road.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:13 PM
kjb
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had my discovery at the dealer for the same issue and they told me they already know about the issue. I am also in the Chicago area. They took my vin number and will report the issue that LR is working on a fix. In the mean time LR have found Meijer diesel might solve the issue but they are working on a fix, just didn't know how long it would be. Otherwise I haven't had any other issues. I have 2500 miles so far.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:51 AM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently purchased a 2017 New Discovery Diesel. My reason for buying is I like diesel engines for towing boats and with the VW diesel fiasco, few brands are available. It seemed reasonable that the Discovery should be a good choice to replace an Audi Q7.

I have generally been satisfied with the car aside from the Adaptive Cruise control, the Advanced Tow Assist, and the need to continually have to reconnect the IN Control device.

I preface the following comments with the admonition that I am not well versed in internet, internet connections, nor am I proficient in smart phone manipulation(s).

I cannot find any dealer with knowledge on making the ATA (Advanced Tow Assist) work. I have watched various YouTube videos but they do not show how they set the system up to make it work. I think I have followed the manual instructions and the screen instructions, but I can't get the target placement to be consistently recognized on either of my boats. I can get no help from LR Customer Service. Any suggestions from the forum would be most appreciated as would advise and where to get help.

The Adaptive cruise control reminds me of 2000 Volvo S-80 standard cruise control. It is rather primitive for today's technology. I will ask the servicing dealership if they can fix problem's, i.e. maintaining set following distance, speeding up on hills, and losing contact with vehicles, with the Adaptive Cruise Control but I cannot imagine LR would permit changing the system in any way.

I did purchase the AT&T WIFI but the 3G coverage does not match my Verizon coverage. I turn off my Roaming on my iPhone because the phone starts streaming Spotify, Pandora, when the 3G AT&T coverage stops but the Verizon doesn't. I don't have unlimited data on the iPhone. I have no idea what the in control deal is capable off, but it is rather slow and I am not a most patient person. Again I am not computer savvy. Any suggestions on using the iPhone apps such as Off line Route planning, starting the car via the Remote App and using the IN Control function would also be appreciated.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:55 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Diesel

So how did this turn out?
Did you keep it ?
I am very close to ordering a 2018 HSE Lux Diesel and now wondering if I should go with the gas engine instead. Going to check on the local diesel fuel tomorrow. My wife has a MB Bluetec diesel and no DEF required. I work at a company that has tractor trailers and can buy diesel from our pump pretty cheap. Right now it has winter blend to prevent gelling (In Massachusetts but the trucks run North). We also have some company GMC diesel pickups that run fine on it. I was thinking the Diesel engine would not be picky but looks like it is the opposite.
Also sounds like it needs a lot of DEF, maybe one of the RR official containers every fill up?

Thanks,

Ned

Old 01-12-2018, 08:44 AM
kjb
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still driving mine. I have tried to fill up at a station that LR referred me to that isn’t out of the way so no biggie to me but hoping that’s not their solution. It does seem to have helped the issue. I have been in contact with the delearship a few times about updates they are working on so hopefully they come up with a fix but at the same time it hasn’t effected me in my vehicle being down or in the shop. Seems odd since its not a new engine.

As for the DEF I have 6600 miles and I just got a warning last week that I need to add DEF in the next 1500 miles. I just went and purchased some at the local auto parts store. 2.5 gallons for around 10 bucks. Not that fancy LR bottle but I assume it was cheaper. I think its supposed to need filling around every 10k but depends on driving style and if its like most Diesel engines the first few tanks go faster until after the break in period.

Finally as for diesel or gas. I went for diesel because I was looking for better mpg and am very familiar with Diesel engines so wasn’t concerned with that or having to add the DEF. If your looking for something fast off the line or a big passing gear on the highway I would go with the gas. The diesel isn’t slow but it doesn’t react like the gas. My wife has a gas sport and it drives completely different. I knew what I was getting with the diesel in regard to the way it reacts so I am happy with it.

Couple other things if you order make sure you get the 825 watt radio and 4 zone climate with vents for the third row. I would be happy to answer any other questions.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:25 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I checked with some local (Massachusetts) stations today and they have no biodiesel. Also checked with our wholesale supplier and we do not get any biodiesel. So that is all good. However our GMC pickups only need the DEF filled every 6,000 miles. Not sure if it is a bigger reservoir or just doesn't need as much.
NAPA has 2 1/2 gallons of DEF for $11.99 but I could also get a 55 gallon drum from our fuel supplier. So just need to rig up one of the things I read about on here. Can you reuse the pint bottles from LR? Maybe just buy a couple there and fill them back up from a big container.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:19 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my car back to dealer(s) Charlotte, where I bought the car, and Asheville, where I chose to have service contract because of slightly more convenience, and neither has updated the incontrol app. I do find it slow, have to touch things more than once to have them respond, miss touch icons near the bottom of the screen and change to another app, have to re-allow connection on my iPhone often, tells me its not connected to my phone when it is all connected and have to pull ubs (usb?) connection then replug, and more. There were three car updates: one for DEF messages and I don't remember the other two which were minor. that was as of last month and first of January.
Adaptive cruise, the fore runner to self driving cars, maintains speed and distance from car in front of your car, etc. Problem is that I had a Audi Q7 diesel before this car and it maintained distance and speed to + or - 2 mph up and down hill and distance maintenance was great at whatever setting set, This car speeds up +5 mph going down hill whether you are trailing a car or not, it violates the distance setting especially going down hills, Not what I expected to say the least.
The Tow Assist app requires a placard showing 3 back circles to be mounted more than 4ft but less than nominally 6ft from the back of the car, on the trailer. The app tells you where to place it. App uses the triangles to focus somehow, problem is turning the trailer loses focus then it doesn't work until you straighten the boat out again (maybe). Can not get the boat to back straight using the app. Tried it on a 1000 # boat (17' trailer) and a 5500# boat (22+' trailer). on the big trailer it was a joke, gave me message that no one can tell me what it means. Dealers (at least in western NC and Charlotte) don't know anything about the app and calling Land Rover US is a joke. I have trouble turning my head to see where trailer is going but I find I back the trailer better than the tow assist so I just gave up on it. I did devise a good system for placing the placard though.

DEF fluid lasts about 12,000 miles if I remember correctly and a warning light will come on at intervals to remind you to fill it, I was told by a friend that some of the truck stops have pumps to supply DEF to semi trucks now. One of the fixes to Audis TDI engines was to increase the application amount of Ad
Blue, their DEF (urea) fluid. The use of DEF for all diesel engines will be increasing or mandatory in the future, until a new technology is developed.

I'm learning to like the car more as I try to overcome my desire for things to work correctly at least correctly as I understand correctly, not how LR understands correctly. The diesel engine is great, good
mileage for a heavy car, the 2 speed transmission is good, especially for towing in reverse up hill, which I believe is Mandatory after trying to maneuver a trailer up a grade between two post and having the reverse gear not work and a message stating "transmission overheated". Now I use low range and have no problem no matter how long it takes to back it where it belongs.