New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Option pack question MY21 , Towing vs Adv. Off-Road??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 04:18 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

asked my dealer to look into it and received this today:

The ordering system does show that the Tow Pack with Tow Assist in not compatible with the Advanced Off-Road Capability Pack (configurable terrain response).

so... what the heck JLR?!?

As far as I know, the Defender doesn't have this issue.

Old 01-11-2021, 06:28 PM
Mudding

Just to put a button on this, yeah, we're out of luck in the USA with regards to combining the two features. Received this official response from JLR today:
Thank you for again reaching out to the Land Rover Customer Relationship Centre. I have again spoken to our Product Planning Team to gain a better understanding of what you are looking at in your build.

What I have confirmed is that you cannot get the Configurable Terrain Response AND Active Tow Assist on a build on the US Land Rover site. As you have confirmed, you can build that on the UK site. It has to do with the ease of vehicle packaging with different markets. Because the vehicle builds can be done in a few weeks in the UK, there are more options available. The specifications vary by market.

We are sorry that we are unable to build the vehicle in your desired configuration. We are always receptive to customer feedback. Please be assured that we have documented your comments and forwarded them to the appropriate parties for review and consideration in future models.

Old 01-11-2021, 11:11 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, that stinks!

Old 08-15-2021, 02:24 AM
NRB
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Configurable Terrain Response & Advanced Tow Assist Together In Same Build

According to the configurator these are not available together in Canada or the US? But they are available together not only in the UK but also in Australia, probably other markets too? As a result I don't find the rationale from JLR very convincing, especially because these are software options with no hardware to install. It seems that JLR did not want to put any effort into solving an administrative oversight. If the logistics can be made to work for other far away markets why can't they be made to work for North America? I am close to ordering a new Discovery and had thought this was just an oversight on the configurator until I saw a post above about it. Hopefully when I'm ready to order I won't receive the same hard to believe excuse. If it was true I'm disappointed JLR didn't offer to make the missing software a dealer installed option? JLR if your listening please show some respect for your North American customers and solve this issue.

Old 08-15-2021, 02:15 PM
Mudding

<duplicated by mistake>

Last edited by eelpout; 08-15-2021 at 03:01 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 08-15-2021, 02:59 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by NRB
According to the configurator these are not available together in Canada or the US? But they are available together not only in the UK but also in Australia, probably other markets too? As a result I don't find the rationale from JLR very convincing, especially because these are software options with no hardware to install... If it was true I'm disappointed JLR didn't offer to make the missing software a dealer installed option? JLR if your listening please show some respect for your North American customers and solve this issue.
yeah, it's nuts, right?

I may push my dealer contact (who does inventory purchasing) to bring it up at the monthly corporate meetings they have, at least to find out what the deal is. If it's related to a hardware part or just software. A bit of a mindbender to think why they wouldn't want to offer this in NA for the D5 but it's fine for the Defender.

It really seems like it's a deliberate block of these two packages being put together. Configurable TR is likely just software right? Maybe there is some weird NA import regulation hoops they'd have to redo for the D5 because it's related to combining towing with a user operated suspension feature?

Let us know if you find out anything when you place your order. Mine is a MY22 so I'd think, at least for the first couple quarter for this cycle this wouldn't change.

EDIT: well, after my blathering above (some of which I've nixed). I went back to the configurator for a couple other countries (AU and UK for example), if you pay close attention to the packages, you'll see that Configurable TR is missing if you get the Adv. Tow Pack. And in the UK build, if you first do the Adv. Offroad Capability pack and then change to Adv. Tow Assist, guess what gets removed? Yep, Configurable TR! It seems like it's something JLR messed up somewhere with those two packages being incompatible or something on the D5 platform.

UK build, changing from Adv. Off-road Capability pack to Towing Pack:

Old 08-15-2021, 08:00 PM
NRB
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordering Configurable Terrain Response & Advance Tow Assist Together

What's Missing in Canada & USA Websites:

In other country's configurators you are able to add Terrain Response as a stand alone option, if you haven't or can't select it in a pack you are still able to order it in the "Capabilities and Dynamics" section of the UK configurator. I've attached a screenshot.

For some inexplicable reason JLR has left this ability out of Canada and USA websites. If you check Mexico's JLR website the ability is there to order Configurable Terrain Response as a stand alone option. I checked about a dozen other JLR websites including Brazil, Spain France, Germany, India, and South Africa. The stand alone option for Configurable Terrain Response is available to all. Another point is that both options are available together for Defender buyers, just not for Discovery buyers. I believe the installation of Configurable Terrain Response when Terrain Response 2 is already present on the vehicle merely requires the loading of a software file, seems that it should not be a difficult task to complete, especially when you know that other software options are being installed.

Because of these facts I'm left with the impression that the JLR Rep who responded to the question chose to provide a BS excuse rather than putting in the work to investigate & solve a problem that North American customers are experiencing..

Old 08-16-2021, 02:32 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by NRB
What's Missing in Canada & USA Websites:

In other country's configurators you are able to add Terrain Response as a stand alone option, if you haven't or can't select it in a pack you are still able to order it in the "Capabilities and Dynamics" section of the UK configurator. I've attached a screenshot.
ah, now I see why that didn't come up for me, I was lazy and tried to build an SE with a D250 in the UK. It's apparently not an option with the smaller diesel. Good catch!

I agree, it does seem it's likely to be a software component. My dealer was thinking back in the spring there was a possibility it could come out later for NA, but that was just a wild guess on their part. All we can do is pressure the dealers here to provide feedback to corporate that this is option we want, regardless of the tow pack. I still believe there is something else to this.

I'll talk to my dealer about it once again as I have to inquire about the status of my replacement taillight anyway. (the original is delaminating )

Last edited by eelpout; 08-16-2021 at 03:04 PM.