New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on the Disco

Old 08-12-2018, 08:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Questions on the Disco

Our new 2018 HSE Lux arrived a couple of weeks ago. Upgraded from our trusty 2010 LR4. So far we are loving it although the amount of technology and complexity on it is immense... it will take us a long while to work out what is what

A few questions:
- gesture tail gate. Does that work on just the driver side (left for us) or both side? I can only seem to get it to work on the drivers side and that's a bit inconvenient to have to walk around sometimes
- what happens after the first 3 months free AT&T data plan? Can we switch to any provider or are we locked to AT&T? And how do prices compare across providers - we are with Verizon so is it like adding an iPad data account?
- what's the right way to turn off the car? It's driving my wife crazy. When she stops and moves the car to P then sometimes the stop start has stopped the engine, sometimes it's still running. And the ignition is still on. Some of the time it turns off when she undoes her seatbelt - but not always. Seems very confusing and half the time she ends up starting it up again...

Old 08-12-2018, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

I am guessing on the data plan, but here goes. Unless it is carrier locked it will likely work with GSM carriers. So ATT, T-Mobile and a few others if you get the appropriate sim card.

What you could do if you wanted to try it out is put the sim card out of your cell phone if it's the right size in the Discovery 5 and see if it functions. It really doesn't seem to cover if it will work with CDMA networks which is Verizon and Sprint.

There is apparently two options for the sim card size based on the infotainment option your truck has.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:57 AM
4wd Low
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
Our new 2018 HSE Lux arrived a couple of weeks ago. Upgraded from our trusty 2010 LR4. So far we are loving it although the amount of technology and complexity on it is immense... it will take us a long while to work out what is what

A few questions:
- gesture tail gate. Does that work on just the driver side (left for us) or both side? I can only seem to get it to work on the drivers side and that's a bit inconvenient to have to walk around sometimes
Mine works equally on both sides, its RH Drive but that shouldn't make any difference.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:07 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having issues with Internet with ATT or connected to a hotspot. Sucks.

I can open the lift gate on either side.

These vehicles without physical shifters seem to be able to turn off any way you want. You can stop, hit the push to start button and it will go into park and apply the brake. We have had it where putting it in park it will decide to automatically turn the vehicle completely off.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:04 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My daughter and occasionally one of the dogs can operate the gesture tailgate. I have about a 5% success rate. So I don't bother anymore.
I picked mine up on 4/12 and started the 3 month free trial that day. Right now I can't get data working again, see this thread: https://landroverforums.com/forum/ne...t-reset-90817/

Old 08-14-2018, 02:17 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the plus side for me I don't have any turn off issues. I put in park and then hit the start/stop engine button.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ned O'Neill
My daughter and occasionally one of the dogs can operate the gesture tailgate. I have about a 5% success rate. So I don't bother anymore.
My wife can do it, but I'm about 5% as well. I usually try until I can hear people laughing (usually my kids) and then I just hit the button. Whoever put the button directly under the V is a genius.

Originally Posted by Ned O'Neill
On the plus side for me I don't have any turn off issues. I put in park and then hit the start/stop engine button.
​​​​​​​You're really missing out, one of my favorite things is trying to guess exactly what is going to happen when I put it in park.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:11 AM
Mudding
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a 110% rate with the gesture. It works everytime I try it - and it also works if water sprays down there (like when self washing the car). It shut on me once when our german shephard wagged his tail close to the car and set off the gesture closing teh gate on me.