Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Due

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 11:11 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Service Due

I'm at 5K miles and get a "Service Due" message when starting. I'm assuming it's for an oil change, but there is no other details given. In my other cars there has always been a code to look up to see what specific service you're being prompted for and this seems to be intentionally vague, I'm guessing so that you bring it into the dealer. Seems pretty weak considering how far other manufacturers are with owner diagnostics built in.

I've got a diesel and I know there's an issue with the pre-mature oil change, does anybody know if there's an actual fix they're making to the computer to correct that?

Old 12-19-2018, 10:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

We don't have ours yet but it's always a good idea to get that break in oil out of there and then move on to 15K. Did that on our Touareg, Cayenne, and now Q5 TDIs.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:20 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

From all that I have read, there is no fix. It’s inherent in the diesel design if you don’t do long commutes, you get oil dilution.

Can’t remember where I got this from:

”Diesel issue

I have spoken to LR Uk this morning about oil dilution issues regarding the different types of engine and this was the answer:- Dear Mr Bamford

I am emailing in regards to our telephone conversation today and your concerns regarding Oil Dilution.

Oil Dilution occurs over time due to normal oil degradation as well as by failed Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) regeneration where the unburnt diesel that is used to perform a regeneration running down the piston bores into the engine sump.

This does not occur if the DPF is allowed to complete a full regeneration without interruption, but a high number of incomplete DPF regeneration's will cause a large amount of diesel to mix with the engine oil - leading to a higher than normal oil dilution, necessitating an engine oil and filter change.

DPF regeneration works by injecting additional diesel into the combustion chamber (post combustion) on the exhaust stroke so that it is used to burn off the build up of soot in the DPF. When the level of soot reduces to 'normal', the injection of diesel stops. If the DPF regen cycle is interrupted (frequent short journeys), any unburnt diesel will run into the sump, diluting the oil.

Should you experience problems relating to Oil Dilution, this can be the result of many factors and we would be unable to speculate on the root cause without the vehicle attending an approved retailer for further investigations.

As the concern can be the result of influences such as driving style (frequent short and/or low speed journeys) we would not be able to confirm the root cause prior to the vehicle attending a retailer

Once the vehicle has attended a retailer, they are able to carry out investigations and look to understand the customers driving styles as well as check for any potential vehicle faults that may be present so that we can review and support as appropriate.

I hope this provides more clarity but should you require further information, please do not hesitate to contact me

Yours sincerely”

Last edited by abran; 12-20-2018 at 07:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DavC (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 11:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Moral of the story: New car, diesel, first 5k miles. Just go change the oil.

If you aren't commuting with it you should adjust your oil change intervals accordingly anyway.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DavC
Moral of the story: New car, diesel, first 5k miles. Just go change the oil.
I was planning to change the oil now regardless, my issue is really that it's not specifying what the service alert is actually for, which kind of negates the alert. Maybe it's prompting for oil, maybe it's DPF, maybe it's low on washer fluid ...nobody really knows.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

https://www.gap-diagnostic.com/products/iidtool/

you may try either GAP or the dealer and query whether or not there is a mode that will generate a code or a note about what triggered the service message.

The owners manual should include a blurb on what constitutes items that will trigger the message, my guess is it is some oil diagnostic, maybe DEF but I doubt it.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Have you checked the next oil service indicator on the IP? This should tell you if it requires an oil change.

Land Rover Owner Information