New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So here is why after owning (4) Land Rovers I don't think I will ever own one again.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 07:10 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So here is why after owning (4) Land Rovers I don't think I will ever own one again.

So here is why after owning (4) Land Rovers I don't think I will ever own one again.

My current 2018 Disco V has had problems from the beginning. It had problems with the back hatch, the roof, the seat, and has been plagued with infotainment issues. My 2015 had some issues but in that case they stepped up after a few months and I enjoyed that car for three years.

This truck has been in for the infotainment issues at least five or six times by now. After multiple “updates” the system still can't simply hold a phone call without crashing.

I eventually learned that this problem is systemic through my model and some others. Even my loaners had this issue. After the dealer told me they could no longer replace any other components to try to fix the problem, because Land Rover apparently issued a memo that they know there's an issue and can't fix it other than a software update, I was stuck.

Eventually after going to Land Rover corporate, where I simply said just take the car back and let's part ways, they offered to replace the truck. Not understanding this, since I've been told they were aware of the software issue, which they won’t provide me the bulletin on ironically, I reluctantly agreed.

So a few weeks after that offer, which has been pending some regional manager that I can’t speak to, I end up with the dealer contacting me and telling me that they're going to cover one lease payment and buy me an iPhone.

This seems a rather strange to me because early on when I was getting desperate I had said if it was a problem with my phone, should I buy an iPhone. Not that this matters but I'm not a fan of iPhones but just to make phone calls I was willing to do it. At that time, they told me no, because the interface with iPhones was worse??

So, I told the dealer that I was waiting to hear back on replacement truck from corporate since I would prefer to have my Android phone anyway, which is what my family uses, and have them replace the truck which they “said” was the issue.

Now they have apparently recanted on the replacement truck option. Honorable negotiating to say the least…

During this conversation they told me that my phone was the problem and that it wasn't compatible with the truck. I questioned them as to why they didn't simply offer to replace it with a compatible Android phone? This person didn't know. I asked her if she could check on my phone's compatibility and she didn't know that either. Wonder how she knows my phone is not compatible if she didn’t even know what phone I have. It’s Pixel 2XL by the way.

After that conversation I went onto Land Rover’s website where you can put in your model, your VIN, and your phone and it'll tell you compatibility. As I suspected, my phone “is” compatible with my car right down to the version of Android it is running.

At this point I think they are just running the train on me hoping I will go away.

I've given them until the end of the week to make me a legitimate offer as to how to resolve this. Replacing the truck is fine or simply taking the truck back and taking me out of my lease is fine. I'm just tired of the frustration. If not, I will have to file a Lemon Law claim.

I don't know whether this is the beginning of what's going on with their corporation problems overseas or just bad customer service, but at this point I think I finally hit my limit. While I like the look and performance of their vehicles, the customer service run-around, and the reliability issues are just getting too much for vehicle at this price range.

I'll repost once they get back to me and we make a final decision. Unfortunately, at this point I'm not very optimistic. Either way, looks like they are losing another customer.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:33 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rjchankalian

My current 2018 Disco V has had problems from the beginning. It had problems with the back hatch, the roof, the seat, and has been plagued with infotainment issues. My 2015 had some issues but in that case they stepped up after a few months and I enjoyed that car for three years.

This truck has been in for the infotainment issues at least five or six times by now. After multiple “updates” the system still can't simply hold a phone call without crashing.

I eventually learned that this problem is systemic through my model and some others. Even my loaners had this issue. After the dealer told me they could no longer replace any other components to try to fix the problem, because Land Rover apparently issued a memo that they know there's an issue and can't fix it other than a software update, I was stuck.

Eventually after going to Land Rover corporate, where I simply said just take the car back and let's part ways, they offered to replace the truck. Not understanding this, since I've been told they were aware of the software issue, which they won’t provide me the bulletin on ironically, I reluctantly agreed.

So a few weeks after that offer, which has been pending some regional manager that I can’t speak to, I end up with the dealer contacting me and telling me that they're going to cover one lease payment and buy me an iPhone.

This seems a rather strange to me because early on when I was getting desperate I had said if it was a problem with my phone, should I buy an iPhone. Not that this matters but I'm not a fan of iPhones but just to make phone calls I was willing to do it. At that time, they told me no, because the interface with iPhones was worse??

So, I told the dealer that I was waiting to hear back on replacement truck from corporate since I would prefer to have my Android phone anyway, which is what my family uses, and have them replace the truck which they “said” was the issue.

Now they have apparently recanted on the replacement truck option. Honorable negotiating to say the least…

During this conversation they told me that my phone was the problem and that it wasn't compatible with the truck. I questioned them as to why they didn't simply offer to replace it with a compatible Android phone? This person didn't know. I asked her if she could check on my phone's compatibility and she didn't know that either. Wonder how she knows my phone is not compatible if she didn’t even know what phone I have. It’s Pixel 2XL by the way.

After that conversation I went onto Land Rover’s website where you can put in your model, your VIN, and your phone and it'll tell you compatibility. As I suspected, my phone “is” compatible with my car right down to the version of Android it is running.

At this point I think they are just running the train on me hoping I will go away.

I've given them until the end of the week to make me a legitimate offer as to how to resolve this. Replacing the truck is fine or simply taking the truck back and taking me out of my lease is fine. I'm just tired of the frustration. If not, I will have to file a Lemon Law claim.

I don't know whether this is the beginning of what's going on with their corporation problems overseas or just bad customer service, but at this point I think I finally hit my limit. While I like the look and performance of their vehicles, the customer service run-around, and the reliability issues are just getting too much for vehicle at this price range.

I'll repost once they get back to me and we make a final decision. Unfortunately, at this point I'm not very optimistic. Either way, looks like they are losing another customer.
I hear ya. Land Rover beats anything I have ever seen. They refuse to build a reliable car. Land cruisers don’t break, ever. Lexus lx570s don’t break. Tesla has designed 3 cars by now that are nothing but controlled by computers and they are more reliable.

land rover refuses to hire competent software and mechanical engineers, and they are laying off people left and right.

Why is it so hard to design a reliable vehicle? Answer it’s not.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Why anyone would buy the new Discovery is beyond me. They have had problems, just as you have described, since day one. And at $70+k.., umm no thanks. Get a Land Cruiser and never look back. They may be plain to look at but they are very comfortable and reliability is exceptional. Land Rover is dead (JLR owned by Tata and Chinese company if memory serves me correctly). I hate to say it because I have been an enthusiast for almost 20 yeas but they gave up on their loyal customer base years ago and focused solely on the city slicker compact junk.

Yep:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chery_Jaguar_Land_Rover

Old 07-25-2019, 01:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

And, we have not had any . . .

Granted ours is a '19 but works with my Iphone and the wife's LG and no other problems yet.

We did think we were getting road following headlights and did not which sux but the vehicle has performed flawlessly.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:14 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I guess I was expecting a lot worse when I read this story. Basically all of your issues revolve around the infotainment system specifically BT compatibility.

Does this occur if you turn off BT and plug the phone in via USB?
Do you have Android Auto installed on your Discovery? Does the call function through this?

I also had a lot of issues with BT until I was updated to 19A. I honestly have had VERY FEW issues since then.

I do have to agree with you though, while I can give them a pass for some Android phones (due to the size of the ecosystem) the Pixel is a core phone, it should just work if they are following the Google Android spec for BT. Seeing as the issue is cross platform I would imagine they had a hardware issue that is being mitigated through software.

I noticed they replaced my onboard CPU during one of the times I brought it in for service complaining about BT compatibility. No major issues since.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
Why anyone would buy the new Discovery is beyond me. They have had problems, just as you have described, since day one. And at $70+k.., umm no thanks. Get a Land Cruiser and never look back. They may be plain to look at but they are very comfortable and reliability is exceptional. Land Rover is dead (JLR owned by Tata and Chinese company if memory serves me correctly). I hate to say it because I have been an enthusiast for almost 20 yeas but they gave up on their loyal customer base years ago and focused solely on the city slicker compact junk.

Yep:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chery_Jaguar_Land_Rover
Mine is a 2017 diesel with no issues

Old 07-27-2019, 10:32 AM
Rock Crawling

Have them flush your infotainment system, delete everything, then update both the infotainment and instrument cluster. I had everything updated and never a problem yet.

The following users liked this post:
canon_mutant (07-27-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 07:01 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They have wiped the system five times in five different visits and I am on 19a. He also replaced some of the infotainment component until Land Rover told the dealer stop doing it. All of the other issues have taken multiple repair visits. The truck has been in the shop about six to seven times in the the last year. It's just getting annoying.

I hope this is just my truck but from what I hear a lot of vehicles are having this problem with bluetooth. Sometimes they tell me they want to replace the vehicle but I have a feeling that won't be any better. That's why, as much as I like the truck, I think it's time to move on to a different brand.

Does anybody know if the issues I'm having are really just related to Android? If I get an Apple phone will that really be better? About six months ago I actually offered to switch to an Apple phone. The dealer told me the Apple connectivity was worse. Now I'm being told it's better. I just don't know what to believe anymore.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:10 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

2018 V6, no issues. Sorry.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:36 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by rjchankalian
They have wiped the system five times in five different visits and I am on 19a. He also replaced some of the infotainment component until Land Rover told the dealer stop doing it. All of the other issues have taken multiple repair visits. The truck has been in the shop about six to seven times in the the last year. It's just getting annoying.

I hope this is just my truck but from what I hear a lot of vehicles are having this problem with bluetooth. Sometimes they tell me they want to replace the vehicle but I have a feeling that won't be any better. That's why, as much as I like the truck, I think it's time to move on to a different brand.

Does anybody know if the issues I'm having are really just related to Android? If I get an Apple phone will that really be better? About six months ago I actually offered to switch to an Apple phone. The dealer told me the Apple connectivity was worse. Now I'm being told it's better. I just don't know what to believe anymore.
No issues with my iPhone. I had a 2016 GMC I lemon lawed so it can happen to anyone. I know it’s frustrating. I love mine and hope to have it for many years. I feel the search for the vehicle I’ve been looking for is finally over. I was getting a new one every two years and nothing has felt this good to own. I hope it lasts.

Quick Reply: So here is why after owning (4) Land Rovers I don't think I will ever own one again.