Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soften steering resistance/sudden pull to the right

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 03:53 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soften steering resistance/sudden pull to the right

I have an HSE Lux with steering assist (not sure it's related to my issues).

I've always felt the steering was a bit stiff i.e. takes too much effort to turn the steering wheel, and is an annoyance. I test drove a couple of other Disco 5's and the steering was not that stiff (they did not have steering assist, however)

Also, when in a slight right hand curve in the road, while accelerating slightly at about 30 mph, the car will suddenly veer to the right. It isn't dangerous, but a slight steering correction is needed and it is very noticeable. The steering wheel does not move when this happens...it's all in the wheels. I read in a car magazine review that the testers also experienced this and attributed it to an error in the stability braking. Not sure if that is true.

Took it to the dealer for both issues. They were not able to fix the veering issue and said to bring it in another time for more work on that. However, when getting the car back I noticed the steering was easier and much improved.

Brought it back again for the veering issue and all they did was a realignment, which did not fix the veering (seems there was some confusion about what they needed to fix, but that's another issue). However, now the steering stiffness has returned!!

So, my questions 1) is there a computer setting or some other adjustment to reduce the steering stiffness? Seems there must be since the dealer altered it somehow
and 2) does anyone know anything about this sudden veering to the right?

Any info might help me get somewhere with the dealer. They seem to be having trouble getting a handle on it. Thank you.

Old 05-07-2021, 04:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

You’re referring to the lane keeping assist I think.
I suggest you go into the menus and disable it for now just to help with troubleshooting so we know if the stiff steering if that vs a mechanical issue. It sounds like LKA to me…

I have not experienced the issue you mentioned re the car suddenly going right but it’s possible it could be related to the braking while cornering that the Discovery uses for safety/stability but I would expect that to only cut in when needed?

Old 05-07-2021, 07:25 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by LoneStarLR
You’re referring to the lane keeping assist I think.
I suggest you go into the menus and disable it for now just to help with troubleshooting so we know if the stiff steering if that vs a mechanical issue. It sounds like LKA to me…

I have not experienced the issue you mentioned re the car suddenly going right but it’s possible it could be related to the braking while cornering that the Discovery uses for safety/stability but I would expect that to only cut in when needed?
Thanks I'll try that. To be clear, I don't have any sort of steering/LKA assist activated when speaking of stiffness. Simply driving down a side street or maneuvering in the driveway. More like power steering related.

I can't claim to be absolutely sure but I believe it is called steering assist, an option. It seems there are two "steering assist" features, one under LKA and the other under Cruise Control. The manual lists them that way. I'm referring to the cruise control related, which actually steers the car autonomously and continuously (self driving) when cruise control is activated. I believe the LKA steer assist simply provides a little opposing resistance when veering near the edge of the lane, but won't hold the lane. My car has never behaved like LKA, but I've experienced it in other LRs. In any case, in the info panel the two menu options listed are "Lane Keep Assist" and "Cruise Steering Assist", listed under "Steering Assistance". Either one or both has to be enabled. Both cannot be disabled as far as I can tell. I have "both" enabled. There is also a menu listing for "LKA settings", but it is greyed out and can't be selected, even when LKA is enabled alone. That doesn't seem right.

All pretty confusing. No one at the dealer believes it has cruise steering assist. Must just be a rare option.

l'll experiment with selecting either LKA or cruise steering assist. Thanks.

Last edited by nwr1967; 05-07-2021 at 07:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
angelboing (05-08-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 09:04 PM
Rock Crawling

Sorry, I use the term LKA for all of it just with the going around corners part being a more advanced version of, but you’re correct in the real names.
Given it’s happening on your driveway then it doesn’t seem related to either as they have nothing to do with low speed maneuvering.
Doesn’t sound right to me regardless of what the dealer says. They claim lots of things are normal which clearly aren’t. I have a thread on a cold start rattle they claim is normal but given the car wasn’t doing it before it can’t be, and it’s also not becoming of a premium vehicle. I’ll be taking mine to a different dealer for a second opinion as advised by JLR corporate.

Old 05-08-2021, 07:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Yes - they are two different features. LKA is meant to stop the car drifting over the lane edges. The cruise steering assist keeps the car in the center of the lane.
In theory either could cause the car to veer to the side - that's what they are meant to do. And they can create significant resistance to steering - but as mentioned above only when moving above a modest speed

The steering on mine is pretty light so if it feels heavy then I do think something is wrong.

As suggested above you should turn both off to troubleshoot. You can turn them both off. If menus don't allow that then you have a software error.

But definitely take it back to the dealer to resolve

Old 05-09-2021, 03:52 PM
4wd Low

Thanks all for the suggestions. None of the steering features made a difference. But the light bulb in my head went on duh and I tried it with DSC disabled. The veering goes away. Turn DSC on and it comes back. After two trips to the dealer for this you'd think they'd have tried that too (who knows really what they did). Next visit I'll specifically discuss this with them.

I still bet there is a power/speed sensing steering calibration that could be customized to lighten the steering...

Old 05-09-2021, 08:28 PM
Rock Crawling

Good detective work!

Old 05-10-2021, 08:01 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nwr1967
Thanks all for the suggestions. None of the steering features made a difference. But the light bulb in my head went on duh and I tried it with DSC disabled. The veering goes away. Turn DSC on and it comes back. After two trips to the dealer for this you'd think they'd have tried that too (who knows really what they did). Next visit I'll specifically discuss this with them.

I still bet there is a power/speed sensing steering calibration that could be customized to lighten the steering...
Check out this article from a few years ago.
it shows how complex LRs are.

https://www.schearers.com/signs-of-d...ur-land-rover/

Old 05-10-2021, 08:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Interesting! Wonder if perhaps one of the speed sensors in the wheel is misreading. You should charge them $125/hour for your diagnostic work

The following 2 users liked this post by BritCars:
angelboing (05-11-2021), canon_mutant (05-10-2021)