Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound gone

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 04:02 PM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sound gone

Two days ago all sound quit coming from the speakers in my Discovery 5 Diesel. All functions seem normal from Radio, CarPlay, Bluetooth music and phone etc but volumes are “stuck” at their previous levels and do not respond to attempts to turn up or down. Ask no sound from backup or cross traffic warnings. This morning when I got in the truck it had a beep followed by “low battery, start engine” warning on the screen. Car has 15k miles on it (2018) so seems to be too early for battery failure. I thought about disconnecting battery for a “reset” like my previous LR3 and Range Rover but not sure how the new model behaves.

Old 11-16-2019, 07:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

No harm in doing a disconnect for 30s to see if that helps. That may well fix the sound issue

But if you're getting the battery low warning then you at least need to charge the battery too (or have you got a long drive coming up)? Low battery can cause lots of electric gremlins whether it's just low charge or failing

Old 11-17-2019, 07:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

As pointed out, low battery causes all sorts of problems.

Drive it a bit to put charge back in.

i suspect something did not power down like it was supposed to last time you turned it off ((instead of cutting power to modules when you turn off like in old cars these days a “please power down” message is sent to everything. If a module doesn’t get that signal it carries on using power. I had this happen on a Cadillac 20 years ago which was one of the earliest cars to implement this kind of system.
As for no sound, that happened to me a couple of times and is fixed the latest software update (supposedly).

Old 11-17-2019, 11:33 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had the same issue - volume frozen - no sound. Started randomly with every 5 starts or so and got worse - a battery disconnect would sometimes bring it back.

Now the part you may not want to hear - took it in for service, software update etc, the CPU bricked itself during the update process with the dealer, total replacement needed, this requires JLR to approve with video evidence etc - took 12 business days in total.

The good news - works perfectly now.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

You can try to reboot the Infotainment system and see if it helps.

Turn the ignition on and wait for the infotainment screen to pop up. Press and hold the power button in the center of the volume **** for more than a minute. The screens should go dark and come back with the LR logo again, takes minute or so. This should clear the cache, etc. Basically the infotainment system is a small computer with some Intel chip in it, this reboots it properly vs sleep mode which it seems to go into normally. Similar to a phone or laptop.

See if that helps.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:24 PM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possibly resolved

Thank you for the suggestions. Yesterday I did the old reset process by unhooking the battery. While it was off I went ahead and swapped the fuse although it did not appear to be blown. Everything is working as normal after reconnecting the battery again. It’s wonderful to know how to restart the entertainment system without unhooking the battery however.

Also, since it got cooler outside I have been starting the truck with the remote app in the mornings, but this weekend I noticed when I got in before starting it from the vehicle it had the “Low Battery Start Vehicle” warning on the dash. This may have played a role in the recent issue, so I plan to take to the dealer ASAP to check the battery. I’m surprised that it would fail this early.

Old 08-10-2022, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bhmdisco5
Two days ago all sound quit coming from the speakers in my Discovery 5 Diesel. All functions seem normal from Radio, CarPlay, Bluetooth music and phone etc but volumes are “stuck” at their previous levels and do not respond to attempts to turn up or down. Ask no sound from backup or cross traffic warnings. This morning when I got in the truck it had a beep followed by “low battery, start engine” warning on the screen. Car has 15k miles on it (2018) so seems to be too early for battery failure. I thought about disconnecting battery for a “reset” like my previous LR3 and Range Rover but not sure how the new model behaves.

I have the same problem past 6 months.

Old 08-10-2022, 11:51 AM
Winching
Received 292 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Bhmdisco5
Thank you for the suggestions. Yesterday I did the old reset process by unhooking the battery. While it was off I went ahead and swapped the fuse although it did not appear to be blown. Everything is working as normal after reconnecting the battery again. It’s wonderful to know how to restart the entertainment system without unhooking the battery however.

Also, since it got cooler outside I have been starting the truck with the remote app in the mornings, but this weekend I noticed when I got in before starting it from the vehicle it had the “Low Battery Start Vehicle” warning on the dash. This may have played a role in the recent issue, so I plan to take to the dealer ASAP to check the battery. I’m surprised that it would fail this early.
My battery failed at 4 yrs. not uncommon. I would just replace it.

Old 08-18-2022, 05:05 AM
2nd Gear

Weirdly on mine some Engine Management faults trigger no sound. i.e. No indicator 'tick'. Clearing the fault code (totally unrelated to anything to do with sound) would bring the sounds back.