Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow Package - Can it be added?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 09:41 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Package - Can it be added?

Shopping for a D5 and I am having a hard time finding one with all the options the wife and I can agree on.

Finally found a 2018 but it doesn't have the tow package. I've heard anything ranging from $200-$2,500 to install from dealers... Any input? Are they pre-wired for a brake controller just missing the hitch or can I just add an aftermarket controller?

Thank you.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:56 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes it can be added by the dealer for ~$2K. I believe that the wiring is already there, but there is significant work that needs to be done if you want the OEM hitch.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:12 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the reply. That helps my decision to try to find one with it installed from the factory.

I did a quick search but could not find the parts for sale separately. I'm not scared to tackle the install myself if it comes to that.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Agree...

Originally Posted by Cooncified
Thanks for the reply. That helps my decision to try to find one with it installed from the factory.

I did a quick search but could not find the parts for sale separately. I'm not scared to tackle the install myself if it comes to that.
You won't find anything close to the quality even if you did find an aftermarket unit. Glad I looked and found mine.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

I bought a 2017 CPO from a dealer and he installed the factory hitch in a day as part of the deal. But I'm sure the parts would have cost me close to $2K if I'd done it myself.
I don't know about a brake controller - he didn't install one for me.
It does include replacing the rear trim panel with one cut out for the receiver but if I was paying for it I might have tried cutting the opening myself.
Wiring includes both the 4 pin and 7 pin connectors.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I was able to get the dealer to pay for adding the hitch. D5s are all pre-wired for the 7-pin (minus the connection plate on the hitch), the replacement bumper is the costly part of the install. It's not a removable valance like some other vehicles, it's an entirely new lower bumper. It took about a day to do.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:29 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the hitch added by the dealer. I saw something that said about 8 hours of work and it replaces a couple crossmembers - major pieces.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:06 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can buy the hitch package from the dealership, costs $1100 retail, about $900 if an installer buys it. My hitch guys charged me $250 to install, including cutting the opening with a Dremel tool. All the electrical and hardware is included, the plug on the vehicle is already there. All my lights work perfectly without any software change, but no advanced hitch features. There was no aftermarket alternative available when I did mine, about 6 mo ago

Old 02-25-2019, 08:14 AM
Mudding
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by gritz45
you can buy the hitch package from the dealership, costs $1100 retail, about $900 if an installer buys it. My hitch guys charged me $250 to install, including cutting the opening with a Dremel tool. All the electrical and hardware is included, the plug on the vehicle is already there. All my lights work perfectly without any software change, but no advanced hitch features. There was no aftermarket alternative available when I did mine, about 6 mo ago
I think the dremel is whee your savings was at. The dealer parts/install replaces the valance down there and does not cut anything.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:27 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by gritz45
Thanks for the reply. $1,100 is way more reasonable. You wouldnt happen to have the part numbers would you? I got another dealer quote for $3,200 on a dynamic package HSE to have the hitch installed... I would prefer to do it myself but they wouldnt provide part numbers.

Quick Reply: Tow Package - Can it be added?