New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow Package - Can it be added?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 05:59 PM
Mudding
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

For $1100 you have to cut the car. My dealer was about $1800 and thatvwas not cutting and included the adapters and hitch.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:27 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can buy a tow eye cover for about $100 from the dealer LR083035

tow package hardware is approx $9xx from the dealer VPLRT0174

Paid a local bodyshop $300 to install

then dealership charges about one hour labor for software update

Last edited by Elansam; 03-01-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:31 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Option vs OEM

This option looks quite attractive and at 1/3 the OEM price -- it's worth considering -- https://stealthhitches.com/products/...discovery-l462

Old 08-06-2020, 09:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Elansam
then dealership charges about one hour labor for software update
What does the software update add?

I’m assuming you don’t get the trailer assist package with as far as I can tell is just for reversing, but I’m hoping you get stability//sway control etc?
Anything options change on the infotainment screen after the update?

Old 09-07-2020, 12:50 PM
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Gochin
This option looks quite attractive and at 1/3 the OEM price -- it's worth considering -- https://stealthhitches.com/products/...discovery-l462
Hi,

Just installed one... It took 4 weeks to get it from Stealth and they say it is a 2 hour install on the hitch in their paperwork but it took 4 hours for the Uhaul guys to install it... and they do lots of hitches in our local area - lots of audi and bmw hitches. The guy said there were more nuts and bolts off the darn truck then he ever had seen - but he thought it was the coolest hitch around.

They also sell a 'towing' package with a second receiver and wiring harness, but I just looked under the truck and it appears that the truck is prewired for a 4 or 7 harness right at the back.

Just an example of the ride...

Yes, there is a hitch assembly there

This is the receiver that fits UP into the hitch assembly

This is what the hitch assembly looks like from the bottom

This is the stealth hitch installed

This is how it looks from the rear when installed

This is how it looks from the side installed

Here are what I believe the 4 pin and 7 pin wiring connectors are just behind the cross member on the drivers side. easy access

Land Rover Discovery D5 (2018)

Old 09-15-2020, 09:38 AM
Drifting

Greg -- that looks awesome -- what was the final cost with install??

Old 09-15-2020, 11:18 AM
4th Gear

The cost from Stealth was about $750 for the hitch delivered with only the 'rack' package and I am going to get the tow receiver separately for around $120 from them. WE can put in a standard square receiver but their warranty doesn't cover it - and I want them to have the liability risk if it were ever to come apart while towing. Also, the 'rack' kit does not come with a safety chain connection point (so I need to create something for that - and their hitch replaces the ****** hook for towing/recovery as it was on the frame piece that their hitch replaces. (learning new things all the time!)

Installation took 4 hours at the Uhaul place - and they charged me $360.

Here is the link to the hitch at Stealth: https://stealthhitches.com/products/...~ly_gen-3-l462

I have procured a 4 pin CURT adapter and have not installed or tested it yet, and once I do and know it works, I will post on the solution - I'm waiting for my 4 pin tester to come in before I mess with it.

More on this little build later...

The following users liked this post:
Groucho123 (09-15-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 12:43 PM
Drifting

So to clarify, you're stating that the installation of this stealthhitch removes the OEM connection points for recovery towing? Is there a solution for that -- not that I plan to need it...??

Originally Posted by Greg Powers
The cost from Stealth was about $750 for the hitch delivered with only the 'rack' package and I am going to get the tow receiver separately for around $120 from them. WE can put in a standard square receiver but their warranty doesn't cover it - and I want them to have the liability risk if it were ever to come apart while towing. Also, the 'rack' kit does not come with a safety chain connection point (so I need to create something for that - and their hitch replaces the ****** hook for towing/recovery as it was on the frame piece that their hitch replaces. (learning new things all the time!)

Installation took 4 hours at the Uhaul place - and they charged me $360.

Here is the link to the hitch at Stealth: https://stealthhitches.com/products/...~ly_gen-3-l462

I have procured a 4 pin CURT adapter and have not installed or tested it yet, and once I do and know it works, I will post on the solution - I'm waiting for my 4 pin tester to come in before I mess with it.

More on this little build later...

Old 09-15-2020, 03:06 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Alan Gochin
So to clarify, you're stating that the installation of this stealthhitch removes the OEM connection points for recovery towing? Is there a solution for that -- not that I plan to need it...??
It is not really 'points'... what there was was a steel loop behind the cover plastic that was welded into the safety cross member on the standard truck. The hitch receiver is what i am using to replace it:
Amazon Amazon

The Stealth replaces that standard cross member with their own bolt on and IT does not have that loop... So, my alternative has been to get a Hitch Receiver and D Ring Shackle that goes in the receiver...

Now, the factory setup has the loop as a part of the hitch system for the US models.

OEM Hitch

And the towing safety hooks (which the 'rack' model from Stealth does not come with - but you can order the 'hitch' model for a $300 more - which I did not do)

I'm going to put some soft loops on the cross member to satisfy the safety chain loops.

Hope all this makes sense...

Old 09-16-2020, 08:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Pictures i have of Discos that may help. Some are mine and some are not... and yes... spare offroad cover is purple... to match our offroad wheelset and winch stuff

I do like the stealth for it not killing body lines and bumper when not in use.
I cut a spare ebay junkyard plactic cover ($65 shipped) to access my recovery point as well.

Last edited by TexasLandmark; 09-16-2020 at 08:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Tow Package - Can it be added?