Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing with D-V?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 10:08 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tows Great!

This vehicle actually tows my boat better than my 2016 Ram 2500. It feels firmly planted and with the air ride I’m not bouncing all over the road. My boat has momentum brakes but I think it could stop it fine if they were not working. Although never want to test that.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:20 PM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

I got some good reviews on towing with the 1.5 inch Johnson Rod lift kit and larger tires.
Not sure on the brake controller install.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:08 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking into a DV. Question about tow ratings. I would love to get a diesel and even though I prob won't be towing over 7200 lbs I see the gas eng has a larger towing capacity than the diesel. I get that the diesel will have better low end torque to start pulling a rig, but any reason as to why the gas is rated to tow more? I don't see an answer from LR about this. Thanks.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:11 PM
4wd Low

The diesel weighs more. The base it off vehicle total weight. That is the norm for much all manufactures.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:14 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbryan635
The diesel weighs more. The base it off vehicle total weight. That is the norm for much all manufactures.
Ah. Gotcha. Thanks!

Old 05-09-2018, 02:01 AM
1st Gear

I purchased a 2017 DV and wasn't planning on towing. Turns out, we're going on a family trip and need the third row seats so I'll be renting a uhaul trailer for the luggage. I thought the grey cover on the bumper was hiding a hitch receiver but I don't think that's the case. What would you recommend doing to tow such a relatively small trailer?

Old 05-15-2018, 12:02 AM
2nd Gear
Default Weight distribution

Originally Posted by turnbaugh
One of the reasons I bought the D-V and waited for a factory trailering option is that I have a 5000# trailer to tow.

I went to the local truck accessory/hitch shop and they said they could not add an electric brake controller. They said LR changed something a few years ago and they can't make the aftermarket controller work. They said I had to go to the dealer to get the LR controller and have it installed.

I called two LR dealers. Neither have any idea of how to add a controller and don't know if LR offers such a box. They said there is nothing in their parts list or accessories catalog.

The manual says any trailer over 1654#s need the "overrun brake control".

Has anyone figured out how to add a brake controller?

Half of the reason to buy the D-V was to pull a trailer.
Are you using a weight distribution hitch with your Discovery and trailer? I have the prodigy RF which works fine with the brakes. I have a centerline TS hutch but after reading the manual it states not to use a WD system.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A question for anybody who has installed one of these. I have never added a brake controller and have no idea how involved it is. A quick look on line and it seems like there is wires going to the battery. I know from adding LED lights, getting through the firewall is a project. Did you guys have to do that? Or is it easier?. Any directions or help would be great, and please add the make/model you went with.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:01 AM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the Tekonsha Prodigy wireless brake controller, works great! No weight distribution hitch, no problem.

Tekonsha - Trailer Brake Control - Proportional

Old 12-01-2018, 10:50 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MudDisco
A question for anybody who has installed one of these. I have never added a brake controller and have no idea how involved it is. A quick look on line and it seems like there is wires going to the battery. I know from adding LED lights, getting through the firewall is a project. Did you guys have to do that? Or is it easier?. Any directions or help would be great, and please add the make/model you went with.
LR added my hitch after-market and told me the Disco is pre-wired for a trailer (minus the connection box), even if the hitch wasn't installed. If you're adding a hitch, you can add the LR 7-pin connection box.

Quick Reply: Towing with D-V?