Sponsored by:

USA Custom Order Lead Time During COVID

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 07:25 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USA Custom Order Lead Time During COVID

Hi everyone,

My wife and I recently test drove a 2020 HSE Lux Diesel. Amazing vehicle. The dealer didn't have the options we want, so we are looking at a custom order. The dealer told us that a custom order submitted today would not be delivered until March 2021 (we are in Seattle, Washington, USA). This seems like a long time, but I understand that COVID has impacted supply chains.

Has anyone else had experience submitting a custom order recently for a Discovery V? If so, what lead times are you being quoted?

Old 07-19-2020, 08:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

The manufacturing for the discovery is on pause at the moment due to covid. That's the reason for the delay

If you use the Land Rover USA search tool you can search for the car you want at any dealer in the US. Then you can either buy from them (and they will transport to you) or you can have your local dealer do a deal with them (but my guess is you will pay more that way)
I've bought 3 cars out of state in recent years - very straightforward. Particularly for a new vehicle

Old 07-19-2020, 10:29 PM
3rd Gear
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by BritCars
The manufacturing for the discovery is on pause at the moment due to covid. That's the reason for the delay

If you use the Land Rover USA search tool you can search for the car you want at any dealer in the US. Then you can either buy from them (and they will transport to you) or you can have your local dealer do a deal with them (but my guess is you will pay more that way)
I've bought 3 cars out of state in recent years - very straightforward. Particularly for a new vehicle
Thank you, @BritCars! That makes a lot of sense. I sincerely appreciate the quick response and look forward to posting back when we pull the trigger!

Old 07-25-2020, 03:57 PM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

You can use AutoTrader to help find the vehicle you want, or maybe a good local dealer will help you find one. For me, mine wasn't around to be had so after looking at a couple of used ones and searching literally all across the Nation, I ordered mine in early December. Dealer said 3% off sticker, but COVID kind of fu¢ked up the whole trade-in market and well, my final price was all relative. Lesson learned - don't order a vehicle and expect to trade in yours once it arrives - the dealer knows you want your vehicle.

Once the order was accepted, I had until around 10 January to make changes, which I did about three times. it was projected to be built in late February and ended up being built on March 5th about two weeks before the Nitra plant shut down temporarily for COVID. Nitra was supposed to open back up on May 10 but I am not certain if that happened or not. Once built, it took a little while to get to the boat at port, which until recently was Zeebruggee, but now they have finally opened up their rail line direct to Koper in Slovenia in the Adriatic Sea (where Melania Trump is from), and that should only make the transit that much quicker. Once my truck finally got on to the boat, it didn't take much time. My truck ended up going on a K-Line RoRo instead of WWC; I was surprised when the dealer told me what ship it was on because it didn't leave Zeebrugee until 3/25, and once it left it stopped in Southampton, Baltimore/Dundalk, and then arrived in Brunswick on 4/17. The dealer probably got the truck 24 hours after the JLR VPC in Brunswick said the vehicle was ready for pickup.

Here's a pic I snapped from a webcam when it was crossing under the Chesapeake Bay Bridge on its way into Baltimore.

First train with Jaguar Land Rover arrives to Koper 06.22.20
https://www.luka-kp.si/eng/news/sing...-to-kope-35944

Last edited by AirRyan; 07-26-2020 at 12:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tucker Woods (07-26-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 11:39 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by AirRyan
You can use AutoTrader to help find the vehicle you want, or maybe a good local dealer will help you find one. For me, mine wasn't around to be had so after looking at a couple of used ones and searching literally all across the Nation, I ordered mine in early December. Dealer said 3% off sticker, but COVID kind of fu¢ked up the whole trade-in market and well, my final price was all relative. Lesson learned - don't order a vehicle and expect to trade in yours once it arrives - the dealer knows you want your vehicle.

Once the order was accepted, I had until around 10 January to make changes, which I did about three times. it was projected to be built in late February and ended up being built on March 5th about two weeks before the Nitra plant shut down temporarily for COVID. Nitra was supposed to open back up on May 10 but I am not certain if that happened or not. Once built, it took a little while to get to the boat at port, which until recently was Zeebruggee, but now they have finally opened up their rail line direct to Koper in Slovenia in the Adriatic Sea (where Melania Trump is from), and that should only make the transit that much quicker. Once my truck finally got on to the boat, it didn't take much time. My truck ended up going on a K-Line RoRo instead of WWC; I was surprised when the dealer told me what ship it was on because it didn't leave Zeebrugee until 3/25, and once it left it stopped in Southampton, Baltimore/Dundalk, and then arrived in Brunswick on 4/17. The dealer probably got the truck 24 hours after the JLR VPC in Brunswick said the car was ready for pickup.

Here's a pic I snapped from a webcam when it was crossing under the Chesapeake Bay Bridge on its way into Baltimore.

First train with Jaguar Land Rover arrives to Koper 06.22.20
https://www.luka-kp.si/eng/news/sing...-to-kope-35944

Thank you, AirRyan! Congratulations on the purchase! Very cool to see your tracking story.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Ours took 9 months before Covid. Ordered late July 2018. Received early April 2019.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:59 AM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
Ours took 9 months before Covid. Ordered late July 2018. Received early April 2019.
The Nitra plant opened in October 2018. Your D5 was probably one of the first to come from the new Nitra plant. The 11th digit in your VIN will either be an A for Solihull or a 2 for Nitra.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

No, ours was one of the last ones out of the UK. They were line down for 2 months "supposedly" over chronic field issues like the leaking roof etc.