Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the secret . . .??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 12:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
Just looked. KBB [the lowest book value] still says it's worth $31K.
Why won't you give me the year and mileage?

Old 04-24-2018, 12:38 AM
Rock Crawling

Nor am I "emotionally attached" to our Q5. I'm nearly 60 and this will be our 10th new vehicle purchase between the wife and I over the last almost 28 years. I have done this before. You apparently don't get that I get what I want, for what I want to pay for it, cash, trade, or otherwise, or I don't get. Period. That is ALL this is. With all due respect, I don't care what you think it's worth. If we cannot rely on the historical book trade values that have ALWAYS been used in the past as well as the retail book values and that others are currently selling at for comparative data . . . what are we to do?

Naw, we got some guy named Vinnie out back that has a magic 8 ball he shakes . . . on Tuesdays and Thursdays when the moon is full . . . with all apologies to anyone named Vinnie!
If a dealership is acting like that, you should run. I'm trying to help, but you aren't giving me info...

Old 04-24-2018, 12:47 AM
Rock Crawling

Sorry, since you haven't given the year, I just searched, Q5' are a dime a dozen, but I only looked at 2015/2016. No one will care about the S Line package. It's still a 2.0T.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Sigh . . . Alright, I'll play . . . see if this works?

https://www.kbb.com/audi/q5/2015/tdi...tion=excellent

Dropping to Very Good drops this $1000.

You want pictures?

Old 04-24-2018, 08:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

It sucks that dealers only want to sell as many "bic lighters" as they can, and the only thing they seem to be able to do for you is get the right color. Most salesmen don't even know what they're selling or how they work. Why have "options" at all, if you can't get what you want?? At these price ranges, you should be able to get anything you want and the dealer sb happy to get it for you. The whole industry is flawed from top to bottom and all they want to do is sell as much volume as they can, with no regard for what the public really wants. ..feelin your pain..

Old 04-24-2018, 09:16 AM
Rock Crawling

Sigh . . . Alright, I'll play . . . see if this works?

https://www.kbb.com/audi/q5/2015/tdi...tion=excellent

Dropping to Very Good drops this $1000.

You want pictures?
Looks like Edmunds is a little lower, but not by much $28K-29K for trade in. You have a highly loaded vehicle with somewhat high miles for the year.

Sort of like having the most expensive home in the area, it makes it more difficult to sell because comps show everything at a lower price. Options matter to the right buyer, but not to all buyers. Question, was the Q5 part of the VW/Audi emissions scandal?

If I were in your shoes, I would either keep the Q5 or sell it privately. I would still buy the Rover though, which would frustrate my wife to no end.

Your link worked, but I had to guess at options for whatever reason. See if this works: https://www.edmunds.com/audi/q5/2015...sal-value/tmv/

Edit 2: Ignore the link I provided, you have to start from scratch...

Last edited by COSPILOT; 04-24-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:29 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by wjsj69
It sucks that dealers only want to sell as many "bic lighters" as they can, and the only thing they seem to be able to do for you is get the right color. Most salesmen don't even know what they're selling or how they work. Why have "options" at all, if you can't get what you want?? At these price ranges, you should be able to get anything you want and the dealer sb happy to get it for you. The whole industry is flawed from top to bottom and all they want to do is sell as much volume as they can, with no regard for what the public really wants. ..feelin your pain..
You would be shocked at how little a sales person on a new car makes, especially compared to the hours invested to get the deal. Used is different, but new is so low that some will push you off to the "new guy", unless you are a repeat client.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:40 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wanted a very specific vehicle and eventually ended up ordering one. It took a little over two months but it was worth it. Also went to three dealerships before I got one that would deal and didn't have the snobby attitude.
It was the largest in the area and I think they have plenty of allocations.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

And after much pain and consternation, I actually have a 2019 Discovery HSE Lux ordered. I have literally been all over the country [electronically] trying to buy one of these. Though I did actually drive to OKC, Dallas, and KC. The local dealer only sells what they happen to have unless I pay a flat rate $1000 x 2 plus $500 just for being a PITA to go get one at another dealer. Some dealers will not sell outside their area based on some penalty they talk about yet others are perfectly willing to sell to me but were always missing something I needed. Hey, just TD6, Drive, Vision, Full Size Spare, and Hitch were my only requirements and, though I wanted Gray w/Glacier [actually the wife does], we were willing to go Silver, Byron Blue, or even the upcharge Silicon Silver w/ beige or even that new basketball tan. The wife has had black on the last 2 so no black interior was her requirement. Not sure black interior was ever a show stopper though?? Found a few completely loaded up units that would have worked but then you are paying $83-85K when your nicely equipped build is only $74K. Didn't want one that bad. Almost bought a left over 17 RR Sport but the wife said it was "too fancy". I liked it . . .

We live out in the sticks here, have a farming operation, and a cabin up at 9000 ft up on unmaintained logging trails. Gotta have a Full Size Spare. Yes, they can be added afterward but it is a PITA and MUCH more expensive than the $450 on the order. The hitch was priced at $2150 at the dealer. $665 option. But, most people probably never get their RR dirty much less actually go off road or change a tire.

I would have ordered to begin with if not for the continued 20% tariff threat that has been pending for months. Needless to say, having a risk your Disco might be $15000 higher when it arrives or forfeiting your deposit were NOT risks I was willing to take. Instead of continued enabling, apparently there was finally some actual intra-party pushback so the threat has been at least temporarily cancelled.

Anyway, thanks to Landrover Omaha . . . we have a bun in the oven!

I've bought 10 new vehicles over the years between the wife and I, special ordered two trucks, my Touareg and Cayenne and have NEVER had this much trouble buying a vehicle . . . well, I guess I should knock on wood since it is merely ordered.

Last edited by canon_mutant; 07-27-2018 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

A tactic dealers will use to get around a special order is to string you along for months, then tell you your car is in, right about the time you're about to give up. So you run down to pick up what you ordered, and it's similar, but not exactly what you want. They'll try to say you didn't order this or that option, expecting you to take the car they have, instead of waiting for another special order.. ask me how I know.. Dealerships are f'd up in so many ways.. I hope you have better luck than me.

Quick Reply: What's the secret . . .??