New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who here beats on it regularly and how has it held up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 07:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Who here beats on it regularly and how has it held up?

I grew up working on a ranch so it was always gravel roads all day my 98 F150 took it in stride. I don’t expect the disco to be as robust but had anyone really worked this thing pretty good? I still think it’s the best vehicle I’ve ever owned.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:42 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Whoa! Now you are asking a real delicate questions there buddy. lol

The following 2 users liked this post by JUKE179r:
2019D5 (07-14-2019), MIKE@LK8PARTS (07-16-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 02:41 PM
Baja
Received 720 Likes on 625 Posts

just got through, still "holding up"!

Couldn't resist

Old 07-10-2019, 02:42 PM
Baja
Received 720 Likes on 625 Posts

but for real, we have any taken ours wheeling twice, and on tame trails.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,541 Likes on 1,264 Posts

The guys at Lucky 8 have been running their D5 at events, overland and DD duty for the last year. As far as I know it has been great.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:52 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My son and I did the Land Rover Adventure Off Road course at Biltmore Estates in Asheville NC a few weeks ago (my highly appreciated Father's Day present). I asked that same question because the clearly they beat the s out of their cars (cars!) including the D5 we were driving. Coach said they change the oil, transmission, and dif fluids far more frequently than the manual calls for and new pads . . . but these cars are truly abused. "But they are really strong, and really hold up -- but, we change them out every year!"

Old 08-14-2019, 02:50 PM
8th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

We got our D5 in June of 2017 to tow our travel trailer and explore the back country, in addition to being my daily driver. It replaced an 18 year old Toyota 4-Runner with a lift and locking diff that we used for the same, and a Jeep Wrangler before that. I've taken the Disco on trails that would have been very challenging for the 4-Runner, and it's handled them very comfortably. The traction control system is amazing. Being crossed up with only 2 wheels on the ground doesn't bother it at all, still good steering control and smooth transition when the other wheels hit the ground! The last trip we did a lot of dirt and gravel roads in Montana and Wyoming, and again it handled very well, much better than the Toyota. It was a 5,000 mile trip with the trailer, up and down a lot of steep grades, so the diesel engine and transmission got a workout. Two years in and I'm still really impressed, particularly for such an early version of the D5. It's been back to the dealership a few times, but mostly for infotainment glitches and such. The only serious thing was the engine dropping into "limp home" mode on a trip. Only happened once and dealer replaced the throttle body and updated various modules and it hasn't happened again. They also recently replaced the compressor for the air suspension (I hope I don't have to replace it every 2 years!). Also I did all this on the original tires which are definitely not designed to be off the pavement! They got cut up and I've had 2 flats, so with 26,000 miles on them I just got new tires this week.

Camp near Beartooth pass Montana

After 2 years of bumping around the Disco 5 hasn't picked up any rattles, and the ride is still tight. I had the alignment checked with the new tires and it was still in spec. So far it looks like the D5 should hold up, hopefully we can get 18 years out of it too!

The following users liked this post:
Tucker Woods (08-01-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 08:44 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Almost 70k towing and off road

Issues have been annoying with the TD engine. Early on, serious stumbling which the factory says is a known issue with no cause, but finally fixed with a factory supplied fuel additive I put in with every tank, and now avoid biodiesel.

Had several issues on long trips going into limp home mode while towing, with the factory response to say they would send a tow truck to tow the car several hundred miles to the nearest LR dealer, but would have to abandon the horse trailer in the middle of nowhere. Fortunate I was able to google for some helpful responses in this forum and got the car to a dealer on my own. All related to the DPF. Learned a lot about that and finally got a replacement just before 50k, saving me the $8k cost.

Did the upgrade to CarPlay but shortly after all wireless connectivity and USB in the center console quit which requires a new controller for $2500. Fortunately the wonderful Lake Bluff dealer (one of only 3 remaining solely LR dealers in the US) is covering much of it under warranty.

Now getting “suspension fault” messages and when off-roading in Wyoming earlier this year, the high position failed when I needed it. That’s an $1800 air pump supposedly, but have seen it cheaper from 3rd parties so may do that one myself.

But it is the best long distance ride we’ve ever owned, especially for towing. But it’s like a boat or RV. It’s not about saving money. If you are looking for something inexpensive, buy a Honda. Per the JD Power survey, LR ranks dead last in quality measures, along with Audi, I think. But both rank at the top of owner loyalty.

Last edited by FormerTouaregFan; 07-30-2020 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

There are a couple of guys on Instagram that wheel their D5's often. In fact, one has just departed on a three month voyage.

If you're not already, follow @Roughbeat and @Dirty_Discovery