Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why should I buy a Disco (V)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 06:01 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Why should I buy a Disco (V)?

Hey all, newbie here. We recently purchased a 2015 GL450 for my wife but I hate driving it on the weekends (tech is crap and old, leather is fake, shakes a lot, just don't trust Mercedes but I know some may laugh at that because here I am considering a LR).

I'm looking at a Disco at a LR dealer on the East Coast (only ones who had our color combo) - 2018 Disco, 7600 miles, HSE with Drive Pro Pack, Cold Climate Pkg, 7 seat Pkg, Vision Assist Pkg, CPO warranty as it was dealer's demo.

I am also considering (for my wife) a GMC Yukon Denali, Chevy Tahoe or Audi Q7. We need the 7 seats and I have heard good things about Audi but the 3rd row seat option is only for kids on most, if not all, of those (from all the YouTube reviews).

I have heard there are issues with LR but considering, if I purchase this Disco, it will have the 7yr/100k CPO warranty I feel I could risk it.

She will be using it mostly to transport 3 kids (12, 6 and 3) to various activities, running to Costco, etc.

So why should I get a Disco?

Natelw
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription
2015 Mercedes GL450 4Matic
2014 Lexus LS460 (sold)
2013 Lexus RX350 (sold)
2011 Toyota Sienna Ltd AWD (sold)
2009 Chevy Tahoe LTZ (sold)

Old 10-11-2018, 07:36 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I was between the Q7 and Disco as well. I went with the TD6 as they don't sell the diesel Q7 in the US, but I think they're pretty close. The Disco has a slightly larger 3rd row, but Q7 has better access in and out of the 3rd row. The air suspension on the Q7 is hard to find and a big upgrade, the Q7 performs better on road and Disco better off road. I couldn't get past no spare tire on the Q7. I go camping out in the desert, and have been stranded by a flat before (no fun). It all just comes down to the features you use, but it's hard to beat the versatility of the Disco.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:55 PM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Look at a loaded Honda Odyssey instead. I just replaced my wife's 4-matic Benz. I didn't get her a van because we only need four seats and space for a big dog, and so what she ultimately chose wouldn't work for you, but I looked at several new Mercedes, Q7, Tahoe, and so on. They're not offering anything I want. Take your 12-year-old to check them all out, but don't lead them on. Besides what the kid says, look at the independent safety ratings and the choose a trim level with the tech and features you want. In the end, you'll want your wife to choose for herself, but if she's not interested in doing a lot of car shopping, you'll want to do the legwork for her and come up with a few of the best options for her to consider. Definitely recruit the older kids into car shopping though. They'll help you see things from a simpler and probably more accurate perspective.

You've already noticed that the third-row on crossovers isn't easy to access and it's not ideal for full-time use. You'll be using car seats for many years to come and that makes it hard to fit three-across even with kids. The vans offer third rows that are fully functional. The only other things I can think of that do are the Yukon XL and Expedition EL size SUV's that just carry around a lot of unnecessary bloat. I bet your 12 and 6 year old will easily recognize the van is the way to go. I compared 2019 Hondas to 2019 Mercedes and the Mercedes had less tech in driver aides and infotainment even at double the price.

If you don't like the minivan image, you could get yourself a Harley-Davidson to make up for it, and you'd still spend less.

FWIW, my wife chose a Subaru because we live in the mountains, but as I said, I'm not suggesting that for someone who needs more seats. As for Land Rover, I'm here because I have an old one that is basically a hobby vehicle and practically off-road only. I can't see much point in the new ones, but wouldn't know from any first-hand experience.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

12,6 and 3 plus mom and dad and luggage? 2018 Expedition would work well.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:41 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by stillruns
12,6 and 3 plus mom and dad and luggage? 2018 Expedition would work well.
I just drove by a bunch of them on a lot coming home from work, they looked like a brick on wheels to me... We don’t want to go too big (Suburban, Yukon XL) and the Expedition looks like a semi truck. Those are all over 10” longer than the Disco.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:48 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

This is a land rover forum, the real question is why shouldn't you? Me, no reason, buy it.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

New Honda Pilot would be hard to beat for your situation. And SO much less boxy this year. The new Volvo XC90 would be a good choice. VW Atlas, though I know nothing about them other than basic size. We had a XC90 years ago and loved the whole Volvo experience although that was before the Chinese sale. But we looked at them and they are quite nice.

I am hooked on clean diesel for these vehicles until they come up with something more efficient and powerful. It's just the wife and I now so we don't need the 7 seats but the wife does a lot of 4 and 5 seat jaunts to places with gals from church and a clubs she belongs to. Needs the extra room for all their crap when they go. And, we live out in the sticks with our own diesel tank, a farming operation, and a cabin at 9000 ft in CO, so we do "actual" offroading and I ain't talking gravel roads. Our Touareg, Cayenne, and Q5 diesels have all done 20-25% better than the EPA ratings. Gassers always struggle to even meet theirs. I will actually be disappointed if our Disco just gets 21/26. But I suspect it will be up over 30 on the HW unless we are running 80.

Last edited by canon_mutant; 10-11-2018 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:51 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
New Honda Pilot would be hard to beat for your situation. And SO much less boxy this year. The new Volvo XC90 would be a good choice. VW Atlas, though I know nothing about them other than basic size. We had a XC90 years ago and loved the whole Volvo experience although that was before the Chinese sale. But we looked at them and they are quite nice.

I am hooked on clean diesel for these vehicles until they come up with something more efficient and powerful. It's just the wife and I now so we don't need the 7 seats but the wife does a lot of 4 and 5 seat jaunts to places with gals from church and a clubs she belongs to. Needs the extra room for all their crap when they go. And, we live out in the sticks with our own diesel tank, a farming operation, and a cabin at 9000 ft in CO, so we do "actual" offroading and I ain't talking gravel roads. Our Touareg, Cayenne, and Q5 diesels have all done 20-25% better than the EPA ratings. Gassers always struggle to even meet theirs. I will actually be disappointed if our Disco just gets 21/26. But I suspect it will be up over 30 on the HW unless we are running 80.
Thanks for your input - my daily driver is a Volvo XC90 and I love it.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Require 7 seats for a family of five? Disco is smaller than Yukon but space isn’t wasted. More functional. Go test drive and watch YouTube reviews. The Td6 is a dream to drive just put 1200 miles in one weekend on mine

Old 10-12-2018, 06:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Saw a V90 cross country last week ans it looked sweet. Not an SUV but roomy, stylish and great AWD system.

Quick Reply: Why should I buy a Disco (V)?