Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wireless connection to Apple CarPlay on 2017 Disco V

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 10:20 AM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Wireless connection to Apple CarPlay on 2017 Disco V

Back in 2017, I purchased my Discovery with all the bells and whistles. I was a happy camper back then. Then later that year, my service representative contacted me letting me know that I can bring my vehicle in so that they can install Apple CarPlay. I had that installed and everything worked like a charm. But then after I brought my vehicle in for servicing a year later, Apple CarPlay would only start when it wanted to. I kept bringing in the vehicle at least once a month for the next 4 months because their service guys could not figure it out. Then they kept blaming the iPhone OS for being the culprit. I gave up. So over the years, I would still try to connect Apple CarPlay and it would only work whenever I warm up the car for at least 5 minutes before plugging it in. Did it always work? Not really but only when it wanted to.

Then I discovered this device on Amazon:
2021 Wireless CarPlay Adapter Dongle CarlinKit 2.0 Wired to Wireless CarPlay Adapter/Wireless CarPlay USB Dongle, Compatible with Factory CarPlay Cars

And for some reason this device allows me to connect to my Apple CarPlay 100% of the time. No disconnections ever! And no more wiring my iPhone 12 ProMax to my Discovery. I'll be using this device when my new 2022 Discovery arrives in a few months from now. That way I can use my wireless charging and won't have to deal with wiring to my phone ever again.

The following users liked this post:
angelboing (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 11:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Interesting.

Is there any lag when inputting from the phone to CarPlay?

Old 06-28-2021, 11:59 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for sharing link, the reviews are interesting, I'd be curious as to lag also as the only time my phone gets plugged is for CarPlay (which works 100% of the time).

If the '22 does not have wireless CarPlay, I guess it doesn't have Carkey either?

Old 06-28-2021, 12:01 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1979rover
Interesting.

Is there any lag when inputting from the phone to CarPlay?
The only lag is when I first start the vehicle to connect to the phone. You have to make sure that your phone is out of its locked screen mode. It takes about 30 seconds to connect. But after that everything is fine. There's little to no lag when you change to the next track. All of the other features in CarPlay works seamlessly like answering a call to using Siri. However, keep in mind that every vehicle is different. I was lucky that it actually worked on my 2017 model since that was the first year the new Discovery came out. And if it doesn't work on your vehicle, you can always return it to Amazon and get a refund. The steering wheel controls work perfectly fine too. And all of my third-party apps like Spotify, Podcast, Podbean, and Waze still work great as if I were connected via a wired connection.

But other than that, it works fine. I'd rather have a consistent connection to CarPlay compared to the issues I dealt with in the past like no connection at all and even system crashes.

Old 06-28-2021, 12:09 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dinkeldorf
Thanks for sharing link, the reviews are interesting, I'd be curious as to lag also as the only time my phone gets plugged is for CarPlay (which works 100% of the time).

If the '22 does not have wireless CarPlay, I guess it doesn't have Carkey either?
I forgot to add, the 22' does not have "wireless" CarPlay. From what my salesman told me, you still have to wire connect to the vehicle. It does have Carkey though in which you can use your mobile device to access the vehicle via the Remote App. But other than that, from what I know, the 21' and 22' do have wireless charging (where you place your mobile device on the Qi pad installed) and can connect to your vehicle via Bluetooth BUT do not have wireless Carplay...only if you're wired via USB connection. Hope this helps clarify things.

The following users liked this post:
dinkeldorf (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 07:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 140 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by LR4Top
Back in 2017, I purchased my Discovery with all the bells and whistles. I was a happy camper back then. Then later that year, my service representative contacted me letting me know that I can bring my vehicle in so that they can install Apple CarPlay. I had that installed and everything worked like a charm. But then after I brought my vehicle in for servicing a year later, Apple CarPlay would only start when it wanted to. I kept bringing in the vehicle at least once a month for the next 4 months because their service guys could not figure it out. Then they kept blaming the iPhone OS for being the culprit. I gave up. So over the years, I would still try to connect Apple CarPlay and it would only work whenever I warm up the car for at least 5 minutes before plugging it in. Did it always work? Not really but only when it wanted to.

Then I discovered this device on Amazon:
2021 Wireless CarPlay Adapter Dongle CarlinKit 2.0 Wired to Wireless CarPlay Adapter/Wireless CarPlay USB Dongle, Compatible with Factory CarPlay Cars

And for some reason this device allows me to connect to my Apple CarPlay 100% of the time. No disconnections ever! And no more wiring my iPhone 12 ProMax to my Discovery. I'll be using this device when my new 2022 Discovery arrives in a few months from now. That way I can use my wireless charging and won't have to deal with wiring to my phone ever again.
I had intermittent issues on CarPlay on my iPhone XR for some time. Tried a replacement cable and still kept randomly disconnecting or freezing the car control screen
Seemed to be a poor connection issue. As a last resort I blew compressed air into the socket on the bottom of the iPhone and cleaned out the dust and lint. Has worked 100pc again since then
Have you tried that? I mentioned on here to another owner with similar issues earlier this year and this worked for him too.

Old 06-29-2021, 08:43 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi - it sounds like the dealer is describing Remote unlock which we all have today on our watch & phone apps. Carkey is a digital key / token that needs no app to use, only to setup. I believe JLR is onboard, but I guess not for ‘22.

Originally Posted by LR4Top;7804 v2 73
I forgot to add, the 22' does not have "wireless" CarPlay. From what my salesman told me, you still have to wire connect to the vehicle. It does have Carkey though in which you can use your mobile device to access the vehicle via the Remote App. But other than that, from what I know, the 21' and 22' do have wireless charging (where you place your mobile device on the Qi pad installed) and can connect to your vehicle via Bluetooth BUT do not have wireless Carplay...only if you're wired via USB connection. Hope this helps clarify things.