New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

07 LR3 system fault and gears slipping

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 10:00 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 LR3 system fault and gears slipping

Hello. I purchased my first land rover a year and a half ago and need some help. I bought an 07 LR3 and it currently has around 144,000 miles on it. Shortly after I bought it I had to park it due to cooling system issues which proved to be more complicated than my mechanic dad thought. We learned about it having a jaguar engine after buying many parts that did not fit properly. Needless to say after several months we finally got all the cooling system issues worked out and it is not leaking any fluids or overheating anymore. Unfortunately ever since I've been driving it after it sat I have gotten a message indicating there is an HDC system fault and special programs not available. It also says reduced engine performance and several of the dash lights come on and stay on for the duration of the drive. This happens every time I drive it. It tells me that the suspension is lowering randomly as I'm driving but I dont think it actually is. It definately is lacking power and loses speed going uphill on the freeway. I cannot use or change any of the special systems while it displays the fault message. Also the check engine light flashes constant as well. It takes a couple minutes of driving before all of this happens and I can adjust the vehicle height before all the lights and warnings come up so I dont think there is actually a problem with the suspension. It has now started slipping out of gear when i go uphill at freeway speeds and drops down to usually third from 5th or 6th which abruptly slows me down. And one more thing occassionally when turning a corner it feels like it suddenly starts rubbing or getting some resistance from somewhere and slows down. I have to straighten out before it stops and it vibrates quite a bit. It usually only happens once during each time I drive. Are all of these issues related and if so what is going on with my car? Am I ruining it by continuing to drive it eventhough I'm pretty easy on it? I have done some research and found many sites saying it's most likely an issue with the battery not having the proper voltage. When I purchased the vehicle the previous owner had purchased a new battery from walmart with a warranty but when they hook it up it reads fine and they wont replace it. I have also taken it to a mechanic and they hooked it up to the computer and it came back with 29 codes of which 27 were related to the battery. Will a new battery fix all my issues or is it something else?

Old 02-21-2020, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

On the corners it sounds like your DSC is activating. I would check all your wheel bearings as a possible fail point. Wheel speed sensor/abs sensor could also be the culprit

That’s a lot of battery codes, did the mechanic send you a list?

Old 02-21-2020, 10:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 720 Likes on 605 Posts

Sounds like collateral system faults caused by a central issue. Alternator could have serious problems along with the battery. A voltage test alone is never a way to adequately test a battery. I think I would first check the ground points and all the main power leads, including the strip fuse box (black box at the positive post) as an intermittent power issue can also cause all sorts of issues.

Old 02-22-2020, 12:00 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I unfortunately didnt speak to the mechanic. My roommate was using my vehicle and took it to the shop down the road from our house. He doesnt know the first thing about vehicles and didnt ask for a copy. As for it being the alternator, I am pretty confident that is not the issue. The battery holds a charge fine and I know that the key fob charges off the alternator and it always works fine. I've never noticed the lights dimming or any inclination that the battery is not keeping a charge. If its having to do with the box on the battery would it cause these problems every time the vehicle is driven?

And thanks for the advice on the DCS system. Now that you mentioned it i do vaguely remember the previous owner suggesting that I make sure to disengage that system unless needed because it would effect the way it drives in normal weather conditions.