New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

98 DiscoI trouble maker

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:23 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 DiscoI trouble maker

Hello, My name is Kevin and my wife owns the 98 DiscoI.
There are hella things wrong with this thing and I have somehow been nominated to fix them all.
It has failed emissions in the CO column and I have all but replaced the catalytic converter, which I will do tomorrow.

Then on to the super soft brake pedal and hard pull to the right when you press that pedal. The enormous dead spot in the steering wheel is in need of tightening up. I believe the head gaskets are about to blow.

The drivers window is the only window that works properly. rear passenger window has fallen off the track and is being held up with folded up junk mail shoved between it and the door. The interior door panel was stolen after I made an attempt at trying to put the window back on the track. I left the panel in the back of the truck overnight and when I came out in the morning, my power inverter and the damn door panel were gone lol.

The Sunroofs are very loose when open and the wind blows it around and makes a loud glass banging sound.

Most of the interior dash lights are out except for the gauge illumination.

Cruise control is inop.

The key got stuck in the ignition and then all of a sudden the whole damn thing came out with the key. My wife found a 3/8'' drive 3'' extention and wrapped one end with rubber bands for grip.... and used that for the ignition key for about 6-8 months. Got a new ignition put in and so now there are TWO keys needed to operate the truck. one for doors and one for igintion.... kinda like the old school GMs lol. Key fob has been lost and have to open the door with a key, the original.

Alarm goes off randomly when you open the door, even though the key opened the door and it appeared to disarm itself, still goes off sometime and it takes a few times to reset it.

Broke the cup holder off somehow, driver side AC vents have fins pointing all different directions, gotta get in there and put them back in place.

AC sometimes cuts off for a few seconds by itself in the middle of normal operation. Only happened to me like twice in the last 2 years. Im sure there are a few other things that I can think of right now, but thats pretty much it.

I joined the forums to learn more about this thing because I like it other than its faults and My wife doesnt want to get rid of it or trade it on another. In the year that I was deployed to Afghanistan, the Land Rover dealership has taken about 3-4 grand in repairs. spun a bearing on the crank, computer went haywire, fuel pump went out, water pump went out...

It is at 124k miles and it hasnt had the scheduled maintenance that it should so its pretty beat. Ive got a lot of learning and work to do.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:20 PM
Overlanding

Best of luck! Most of your issues can be solved inexpensivley with a little patient labor. Like the door panel. Should be cheap from a used parts source.

I had a cruise control failure that was a simple cure. Our Disco 1's are getting enough age on them that the vacuum lines are dry rotting. one of my lines broke off of the control module which is located just behind the grill on the drivers side of the truck. So my suggestion is to find all of the lines on that system and check the ends of all the connections for a snug fit. I actually just cut off two inches of the existing line and re-attached. Although I sold that D1 three years ago, I know the new owner and it still works!

Old 08-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Overlanding

As for the brakes, you might want to bleed the brakes, adding new fluid. Make sure you have good pads on all four corners. I had a pad wear too much and the brake caliper blew a seal when extended too far.

Next check for fluid leaks at the calipers. They could be weak. I bought a used front caliper for $50 shipped and replaced it my self! You'll have to bleed the brakes again.

If all of that passes the test, it might be the brake master cylinder.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:18 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for the info. I will definitely use it. I will try some of those this week and let you know how it turns out!