New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New DII owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 12:47 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New DII owner

Hello everyone.

I just bought a '99 Discovery II with 114k miles for my wife. I figured I'd rather have her in something a bit more sturdy than a little Saturn SL.

I've had no prior experience with Land Rovers (except for being impressed when seeing them drive by) and have not done much work with vehicles on my own. The DII didn't come with an owners manual, but I downloaded the Rave manual and have been browsing through that.

I'm still puzzled by some of the buttons on it. One looks like a bumper over road dividing lines. it also has a little red light that turns on or off when the button is pressed. i think it's what turns on cruise control, but seeing as I think the cruise control is not working, i couldn't be sure.

another one was what i think is the off-road button. looks like the DII with the back end lifted and an arrow pointing up. i haven't noticed a difference when i press it, just a matching light on the dash turning own or flashing. a friend watching said he saw the back end move down once but nothing else.

I bought this vehicle with too little research and my own underexperienced inspection, but I had a good feeling about it. I'm very willing to do fixes on my own or with a bit of help. I look forward to absorbing and sharing knowledge from this community.

-Kyzer

Old 08-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

yes that is the cruise control. check the rave manual for how it functions. most times its something simple like a vacuum leak from an old cracked hose or it could easily slip off.

the other button is your SLS. could be replaced with springs as the car ages the air bags leak and need replacement. some people just use springs instead.

make sure you do the 60k maitenance. it will be a good first look around your truck and easy to accomplish for the most part. welcome to the forum!!

Old 08-25-2010, 11:50 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I'll definitely try out that fix for the cruise control.

I found a list of 60k maintenance items from DiscoMike, so I'll try to see what I think I can handle myself. I've done very little hands-on vehicle maintenance myself, but i'm very willing to learn and get my hands dirty to take care of this one.

Thanks again!