New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Alcoa, TN Checking In

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:33 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alcoa, TN Checking In

Hey everyone!

Just picked up a 1998 Disco 1 LSE a couple of weeks ago. It is a little rough on the inside, has a tick that comes and goes in the motor, seems to overheat randomly, and has a couple of leaks (what appears to be oil or tranny fluid and the rear sunroof possibly). The guy I bought it from said he had just had the heads resurfaced. New to land rovers so am going to learn to do as much of the work as I can myself. Thanks to everyone for all the great info on the forums here. I have downloaded the RAVE manuals and already done the Purolator oil filter and 15w-40 oil change after reading about it in the tech section. Sea Foam completely slipped my mind but did add Marvel to the oil and gas. Plan to change over to Sea Foam next go around. Hit a couple of local junk yards and got some of the parts I needed. Only one Disco 1 and one Disco 2 in the two yards close to me. Ran by Land Rover Knoxville and talked to a couple of the techs there and got some good advice. Hoping to get it to run reliably enough to get it by there so they can look it over for me.

Look forward to learning and sharing with you all.

Last edited by ClashmoreMike; 11-08-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:12 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello!
Welcome to the forum! Make sure you download the RAVE manual. This manual is a factory workshop manual! I have never heard of purolator oil filter. I would recommend using a Mobile 1 301 filter. This is an extended length oil filter that allows more "flow".
Most of us use shell rotella 15-40. With the right people these rovers are economical to a certain extent!

Old 05-31-2012, 11:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Alcoa, TN!!! I spent a few hours there last Oct. My buddy and I had three tires sliced and diced at Black Mountain in Harlan so we had to make an emergency run to Discount Tire. Three brand new tires and we were ready to rock and roll. Also picked up a MagLite 3D cell LED flashlight mismarked for $13 in Dick's. Everyone we dealt with was extremely nice though.

Sorry to hear about your overheating issues. If the previous owner said the heads had been resurfaced that suggests a head gasket job. Check your radiator. Flush it and check the fins to make sure they're not rotted away. Replace the thermostat, its about $15. Check your fan clutch, too.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:44 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oilspot,
Got the info on the Purolator #L40316 oil filter from the tech section under "End all answer to stupid oil questions". It is also over sized and is supposed to really up the oil pressure. Did the Rotella oil as well. Picked up two filters,two gallons of oil, and two bottles of Marvel at Pep Boys for $60. Didn't think that was too bad.

Fish,
I am just across the road from Discount Tire and Dick's. Small world. I have read some posts about having the radiator acid cleaned. Do you know if that is something I can do myself or do I just flush it out and refill it? The clutch fan is on my list for this weekend. It also looks like the PO changed the passenger side condenser fan and it is not the right size. Gonna see if I can run one of those down too.

Last edited by ClashmoreMike; 06-01-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Alcoa! I'm in Athens! If you're interested, email me your number and I'd love to come help you out! alexclark315@gmail.com

I'm familiar with all of these problems you're encountering, too!

Old 06-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ClashmoreMike
Oilspot,
Got the info on the Purolator #L40316 oil filter from the tech section under "End all answer to stupid oil questions". It is also over sized and is supposed to really up the oil pressure. Did the Rotella oil as well. Picked up two filters,two gallons of oil, and two bottles of Marvel at Pep Boys for $60. Didn't think that was too bad.
Mike,
Sorry about that!! I was uneducated about the Purolator filter before SavannahBuzz sent me a PM on some reading materials!