New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Brit in Virginia

Old 03-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The ARB are air lockers. the Detroits are mechanical lockers.... and then of course there are E-lockers.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:20 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So which way should I drive from Roanoke to find some 'non damaging' trails to play on. Perhaps ones that don't need a two car minimum, but which will afford a nice day off road with some views other than trees

IN the meantime here is an old friend of mine. I sold this one when I moved from the UK to Europe back in 2000.

it's a 1962 SIIa and had a V8 fitted, and a full cage. It went like hot stink, and never got stuck!

Last edited by Nodric; 03-17-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Potts Mtn trail is out US Rt 311 north from Salem up to Catawba probably 30 minutes. There are some directions on some jeep forums that will come up with Google search. I have not been there, but there are plenty of links on Youtube with videos. Shoe Creek and Big Levels are up I-81 towards Lexington and to the east a bit about 1 1/2 hours away, and Flagpole **** and other trails in the George Washington National Forest are just west of Harrisonburg off I-81 on US Rt 33 about 2 - 2 1/2 hours north. Not sure what kind of trail riding you like, but some of these are picturesque trail rides, and some have some moderate rock climbs here and there, most with bypass options if you do not care to tackle the challenge in your current vehicle.

Not my map, but this one does have the trails I mentioned and some others.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...e17cb6dd0e881d

On Youtube you can search for Shoe Creek, Flagpole **** & Potts Mtn and get some idea. Most videos are jeeps and country rednecks acting crazy, so be warned.

Uwharrie National Forest is 3 Hrs south where there is a trail system with marked trails for all levels. Rover event there the weekend of Apr 12-14 this year, and every year in the spring and fall. Plenty of videos of Uwharrie as well to be found.

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 03-17-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Found a video of Shoe Creek for you with an FJ I rode Shoe Creek in my stock D2.

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 03-17-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:43 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rover_Hokie
Found a video of Shoe Creek for you with an FJ I rode Shoe Creek in my stock D2.
Thanks for the details, links, and video in your last posts.

Some of the trails I started finding could be done in 2WD lol, and most in high box

I'm used to deep ruts, puddles and loads of mud, and I know that exists out there.

Some of the trails will however be ideal to not destroy the FJ while I locate and prep a Disco, and to give the wife chance to learn the offroad thing

It amuses me that trails are maintained (fee required) by the state! In the UK Green Laning as we call it is frowned on, and every council in the UK is doing all they can to stop anyone with a 4x4 from driving anywhere except on the road! I do realize there are a fair share of haters here too.

Going to have a good read from what you sent me, and other links I've since found searching some of what you told me about, and find a green lane to do one weekend

Last edited by Nodric; 03-18-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I would be glad to tag along most anytime, shoot me a message with a phone number or email and I will be glad to meet you. I am headed to Wintergreen Resort this weekend for the Rover Owners of Va weekend, and then to the rover event in NC mid-Apr weekend, but most any other time I am sitting around wishing someone local would want to hit some trails

Old 03-18-2013, 08:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

You are welcome to come to Uwharrie in mid-Apr. It is a LR event but I know of at least 1 FJ that will be there, and the trails are public, so lots of other brands will be out there as well on the trails, even if not in our camp area. And with LR in your blood, you will fit right in. In regard to shutting down trails, that is an ongoing challenge here in the states as well, and there have been many shutdown over the past few years. There is at least one trail I just heard will be closed in the trail system for the rover event in April that requires some maintenance. Local off-road clubs assist the park service in maintaining the trails at Uwharrie and at Potts Mtn here locally to try to keep them open and keep the lines of communications open with the local park officials if they have issues that may begin us down the road to a closure, so we can attempt to address it with users. This is tough since they are public trails, so we as users cannot police everyone, just try to lead by example and share with new people that we take out.

http://www.carolinarovers.info/calendar

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 03-18-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Here is another event I finally made it to last summer just into Ohio. The Wilds is a really nice place and the Green Oval Guild is the Ohio Club that sponsors this event in mid-Jun each year. I am still relatively new at off-road, but I love to get out and plan and learn!

Gallery

Old 03-19-2013, 05:51 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

if you are on Facebook might want to check this out https://www.facebook.com/RoverEvents