New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

great

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 04:01 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default great

i've been reading on your site and it's been very helpful to me, i join up today in regards tomy abs modulator. took it to the dealership and they said it's a bad abs modulator and it would take $1900 to fix some people said that would be the sensor i need some help finding the sensor and how would i go about fix this very very frusterating problem.

thank you

Old 01-18-2007, 04:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: great

Who are these "some people" that refer to a sensor? Are they qualified Land Rover people?

Okay...the bottom line is this. The ABS system is complex. The Dealer has a diagnostic tool that "talks" to the computer and reads the fault codes that are in storage. These codes are stored at the same time the warning light illuminates. If it was a ABS sensor at fault-- the code would reveal this. If the code is stating there is a "shuttle valve" failure --- then the ABSModulator typically needs to be replaced (the shuttle valve is inside the modulator). Recently --- there has been a service part available in the form of a shuttle valve kit --- but the fix only seems to work part of the time, and the labor cost to perform the changeout is still expensive.

The dealer --- by law--- cannot replace the ABS modulator with a used one. Land Rover themselvesforbids it. But ---- you could try buying a used one from a dismantler company such as Roverland inFlorida --- and have it fitted by a QUALIFIED mechanic.

Youcan buy a used one for $400-500

One major cause of failure of this component is contamination from improper brake pad changeout procedures and not flushing the fluid and replenishing it in accordance with the factory schedule.

Check out my tech pages and parts catalogs at www.eurotekapg.com --- to better educate yourselfand avoid the surprises.

Regards,

Geoman