New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Hello

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 03:08 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello

I’m a Disco 2 enthusiast, won’t drive anything else. I like to read and learn everything I can about diagnostics, tips, tricks etc. my entire career was finish carpenter & millwright. Ive had a cherry 04 Disco HSE acquired in 05 with 31000 miles.
Bout 5 years ago it was apparent that the head gaskets needed replacing and proceeded to spend a fortune on this-n-that & everything else right around the 100000 mile mark. In short the head gaskets failed again a couple years later and it was knocking. I always had the oil changed but had never ever worked on a vehicle let alone even change my own oil. By chance a new neighbor moved in up the road that also had an 04 Disco & we hit it off. So one day we opened her up, took the heads off after doing a compression test, not good, due to a loud knocking down low bearings where suspected. So by the end of the afternoon the whole top end, oil pump, oil pan off not to mention all the tubes & wires. OMG for hand I could still drive it having to constantly adding antifreeze. Now the hoods over there and parts strewn everywhere. I helped taking everything apart as I have tools & know how to use them but had no idea where this was leading me. Within a week we had it in his garage & had checked the engine serial number through his contacts to be sure it was a good block. To wrap it up he guided me as necessary to find necessary information such as torque settings and shared contacts that assisted me with things like custom rebuilding the rockers etc.
but he didn’t do any of the work, I had to do everything. But thanks to him he gave me the push I needed to take care of & repair my Rover. mind you I’ve never even done an oil change. Sorry about being so verbose but thanks to chance, a new neighbor, shared contacts & I hate to admit many hours watching yo-tube university I had totally rebuilt my Rover and now do all my own service & maintenance.
Too bad I totaled it last winter taking it for a roll only 20000 miles after the rebuild was completed. Ya I bought it back from the insurance company.
It took a while but I found one in California which is where I acquired my first one, actually 2, the wife took over the first one LOL so I had to get my own.
To wrap it up I’m a lifer when it comes to owning and maintaining my Disco 2
Note that I’m not a mechanic and make no claims about expertise, I’m just a regular get down & do it yourselfer.
I hope this inspires at least one person to delve into the experience of finding yourself as did I.