New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Heyo from Dallas!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 02:36 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heyo from Dallas!

Howdy,
I'm new around here (obviously) and have been lurking around trying to find out as much information as possible about the LR.

I currently own a 2001 Jeep TJ Sport and am selling it to go LR. Regardless of anyones "you're making a bad decision" comments, I know I'll be fine.

So as soon as Jeep sells (which I already have some people interested), I will be a part of the LR family!

The following users liked this post:
emery (01-03-2022)
Old 10-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Great. If interested in pre-loved Discos, you can use www.statewidelist.com to search all of craigslist in Texas, output will be sorted by city, for "rover", in price range you specify, private or dealer sellers. Gives you an idea of what is out there.

You can download full tech manuals, called the RAVE, at link below, free.

You can go to our tech section and find lists of things to consider when buying a D1 or D2; however no list beats an inspection by a mechanic familiar with the beasts.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:38 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet, make sure you join the Texas Rovers Club as well!

Old 10-26-2011, 11:26 AM
3rd Gear

I just went and looked at an '03 Disco... Suffered from 3 Amigos and parking brake light.

It's in great condition, a few minor things here and there (cosmetically) but nice, none the less.

They were asking $5,499 for it and said they are going to send it to the LR dealer to get all of those issues fixed. (wtf?)

Anyway, I told them that it isn't a cheap fix from the dealer. I said I'll take it if they fix the issues, highest priority being the parking brake light. The 3 Amigos I'm not too concerned about as I know I can fix it; I doubt they can and doubt that they will take it to LR.

So if I took it with the 3 Amigos, they said $4900 - TTL.

Are car sales hurtin' that much these days?

Old 10-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Miles? Inspection by your choice of mechanic (you may have an eagle eye, but the mechanic does not have the hots for this posh piece of previously pampered sheetmetal) - and may provide a more objective review that could save you thousands later on. And Amigos takes a special code reader, and if it is the pump.... wow. Higher miles you get into oil pump, water pump, and other fun things. Records of service available?

Old 10-26-2011, 01:12 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Miles? Inspection by your choice of mechanic (you may have an eagle eye, but the mechanic does not have the hots for this posh piece of previously pampered sheetmetal) - and may provide a more objective review that could save you thousands later on. And Amigos takes a special code reader, and if it is the pump.... wow. Higher miles you get into oil pump, water pump, and other fun things. Records of service available?
I'm fairly mechanically inclined as my family comes from many many years in the auto industry. I crawled all up underneath, looked everywhere I could possibly look on the interior, looked at all the bolts that I could on the interior including the ones that hold the seats and seat belts (checking for flood damage). All body parts are original and have never been repainted or replaced, no scratches on the underside... but yes, I understand that taking it to a mechanic to have it inspected would be ideal.

It has 103k on the clock. I believe the service records might be available but I would have to hunt them down from the dealers it was serviced at according to the CarFax. I am already aware of the special code reader that would be needed.

It's likely I'm going to pass on this one, there are far too many out there without these issues (currently). I'm looking anywhere in Texas and Oklahoma. I might go out as far as Louisiana or even Arkansas. I got a guy coming out from Wichita Falls to possibly buy my Jeep (it's pretty much in the bag), so I'm not really worried about not finding the right one.