New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Hola amigos !! And that's all the spanish I know.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 10:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by abnormals_anonymous
lol... dude, I feel your pain. You're cracking me up though with your narrative. Will this be an ongoing show because if it is I want a season's pass. Seriously. I'm loving it.

I think you can buy that 'little black bag' with all of the accoutrements on ebay for roughly $135? A little pricey I know. I checked last year when a buddy of mine said that he 'wished he had a little black bag' like I had. Yeah, I know how weird that sounds but it's true
Ha ha !! I think I'll keep an eye open for one..... just to have it

Old 08-13-2014, 10:51 PM
Rock Crawling

Ok.... finishing up today's adventures. After finding the exact spot that my trusty Land Rover (made in Italy) jack is supposed to be placed, I begin crankin it up.....slowly slowly slowly.... no not my arm.... the dang jack, which moves up only about 1/16th of an inch each time I "jack it".

So I jack and jack and jack and jack until..... I have reached the full output and height of this Land Rover (made in Italy) jacks capacity. It is fully extended. It is not going to lift any higher.

Problem #1 is..... the tire is not off the ground. Oh, it's feeling giddy and light headed.... but it's not free.

And problem #2 is...... WTF are these

Old 08-14-2014, 11:08 PM
Rock Crawling

Today was an interesting day. It's weird to walk through a crop of 100+ ... 6 ft. high pot plants to read the electric meter on a house, and not feel like you are somewhere you shouldn't be. But since Washington and Colorado voted YES last year.... I don't think anyone cares any more. I'm pretty sure Oregon will be voting to legalize it this Nov. It's already growing all over the place. I know. I go in peoples backyards every day.

Anyways, getting back to problem #1 and problem #2.
Since that oil overfill situation, I now know that "I AM" a Land Rover SERVICE TECHNICIAN !!
So, I still have a problem with the Land Rover (made in Italy) jack not lifting the frame high enough to get the wheel off the ground. I consult the Owners Handbook once again and I see that Land Rover owners are never to place additional material between the jack and the ground, but seeing as how I am a SERVICE TECHNICIAN, I make an ST decision and custom cut a couple pieces of Oregon hardwood to use as a platform for my Land Rover (made in Italy) jack which does the trick.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:52 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Senormac

And problem #2 is...... WTF are these

I keep a 1 1/8" socket in my 'little black bag' just for this purpose

Old 08-16-2014, 11:11 AM
Rock Crawling

I keep a 1 1/8" socket in my 'little black bag' just for this purpose
Excellent !! 1 1/8th" ! Thanks aa ! I also read that a 27mm six point socket will do the job. So off to Sears I go with the two sockets in mind, but when I get there I find that they have neither of them in stock. Then it dawns on me .... it's probably Land Rover Disco Owners wheel changing season and there has been a rush on these two socket sizes everywhere. So, not loosing heart, I take my search over to Knechts ...a local auto parts store and BINGO....they had one of two. I bought it.

It was a perfect fit and using a breaker bar for torque I tested it first on the spare which is bolted to the rear door. It was easy easy and came right off just like any other "normal lug nut". Why LR designed these things like this is beyond me, but it doesn't matter now that I have the right tool. I should give this thing a name....like Cap Done my Captain, Nut Buster or The Luganator !! One thing to be mindful of though, the wheel is dang heavy.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:08 PM
Rock Crawling

So now that I have the LR jack (made in Italy) on a solid but higher platform and ready to lift..... I start crankin. Up ....up ....up.....it goes. It's about an inch off the ground now, so I pull a auto rag underneath it and then push the tire with my hand to see how it rotates..... and notice that ....it doesn't. For some reason, I thought it would rotate and spin freely round and round.... but it didn't.

I turns just a few inches and then stops with a clank click coming from under the vehicle. Back.... same thing happens. So I crawl under there to find out what the noise is and as I turn the wheel, the..... not sure the name of this part yet (can anyone help me with this?) ..... transmission shaft thing spins just a bit and stops too. When I rotate the tire the other way....as I look at it underneath my rig.... it is turning the other way.... and then stops with a quiet clinking sound.

From the other side.....

I guess they are connected. So.... I go ahead and take off all the lug nuts.... and remove the tire.... and yes.... they are DANG heavy !!

Then I put it all back on and together.... and finished my beer

Old 08-16-2014, 10:36 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Senormac
..... not sure the name of this part yet (can anyone help me with this?) ..... transmission shaft thing spins just a bit and stops too. When I rotate the tire the other way....as I look at it underneath my rig.... it is turning the other way.... and then stops with a quiet clinking sound.

From the other side.....

...and that would be a drive shaft...one in the rear and another in the front.. (most likely not made in Italy..)

You're making me feel lazy.. I've got to get under my rig and check it out - thanks for the motivation!

Old 08-18-2014, 07:56 PM
Rock Crawling

...and that would be a drive shaft...one in the rear and another in the front.. (most likely not made in Italy..)

You're making me feel lazy.. I've got to get under my rig and check it out - thanks for the motivation!
Drive shaft....? Ok. Should I have had it in neutral or is it not going to make a difference to the wheel spinning freely? I know pretty much zip about 4WD and/or transmissions

As for being motivated.... it's only cuz I'm green and it's all new and fresh to me. The real LR wrench busters probably just shake their heads at this thread.... heh heh heh .....

Old 08-18-2014, 08:22 PM
Three Wheeling

Sorry, are you talking about your axle or the driveshaft?

What are you trying to accomplish here? Change out a tire, get to know your Rover or just learn the terminology..I'm a little lost.

Attached Thumbnails Hola amigos !!  And that's all the spanish I know.-driveshaft1.jpg  
Old 08-18-2014, 09:30 PM
Rock Crawling

Yea.... the driveshaft. While my Rover was jacked up.... I spun the wheel and the driveshaft spun for an inch or so before stopping with a noise that made me look under there. So I guess they were engaged and I was surprised is all. I thought the wheel would spin freely round and round

I didn't do anything on my rig yesterday or today cuz I went out in the woods with a buddy on Saturday and got it all dirty

pics of saturday

Last edited by Senormac; 08-19-2014 at 09:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Hola amigos !! And that's all the spanish I know.