New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Howdy from middle of Puget Sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 12:32 AM
4wd High
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Howdy from middle of Puget Sound

I had a '98 Discovery LSE years ago, and now am scratching my head at an Oslo Blue 2003 SE7 parked in my carport.

(If you're interested in seeing photos of Yet Another Old Discovery, my latest blog post shows my "as purchased" photos: Disco is Hip Again ? RUSTY HEAPS )

Honestly, it's a surprising good old machine for the lofty sum of $2,500. I'm the third owner, it has 75,000 miles, everything works, it has newish tires, it looks OK aside from some paint damage on the roof, and it drives OK. The seven-seater layout does nothing for me, but I wasn't shopping for any one specification of car, either, so no worries. The original owner did not spring for heated screen or seats, air suspension, nor the factory nav. Of those, I'll only miss the heated seats.

I have an intermittent "three amigos" issue, which I'm going to have to sort through. I'll be attempting to rebuild the key fob. The driver's door handle requires a secret series of pulls to open the door, but the folks who sold it to me bought the part they think is a culprit--a rather large assembly, and I'll open the door and give it a shot. I'll bought some paint and will get the outside looking a bit more respectable, though it looks fine as-is, really. Inside all it really needs is a headliner, and I'll be doing that, I've done a couple of them in the past on things like XJ6 Jaguars so am not worried about it.

I guess I'll need a code reading device to read LR codes since my bespoke but ancient OBDII reader doesn't pick up the ABS/TC/HD errors. Maybe there's an app which can read it? I'll have to investigate.

I've been fooling around with old English cars for 30 years now, which should tell you everything you need to know about how smart I am and how large my savings account is!

Old 09-21-2019, 09:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

For code reader, I use the iCarsoft LR II. You can find it on Amazon for about $150ish and it works with your other vehicles.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:18 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations / Condolences...

I just bought an '04 SE7 about a month ago and absolutely love it almost as much as my kids do!
You can get an OBD2 scan tool at Walmart that will read all the codes you need it to from what I can tell. Then you can use the other $125.00 to pick up a new switch plate and switches for the heated seats and plug them in. Most likely the connectors are there and you can reach out of you have any questions, as long as the plugs are there and the heating elements are in order they will work..

I live in Idaho now but used to live in Seattle.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Go for a proper diagnostic tester like a Foxwell NT-520 for a Land Rover/Jaguar.
The other problems you mentioned (except for paint) are easy fixes you can complete in a weekend.
Three Amigos ABS fix...

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LRD ABS OPTION_B.pdf (685.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 10-29-2019, 08:56 AM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
Go for a proper diagnostic tester like a Foxwell NT-520 for a Land Rover/Jaguar.
Foxwell makes a nice scanner as @JUKE179r suggests, Autel is a "proper" diagnostics tester as well. Spend your money where you see fit.

Here's some info for all - https://bestobd2scanners.com/foxwell-vs-autel/