New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

I'm a newbie.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 12:02 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm a newbie.

...and I'm a chick.
Bad combo I suppose!
I have been reading through as many threads as I can access, the info is great, thanks to all of you!
I have wanted a Discovery since I first saw one in 1992. I almost bought a 2001 D2 in 2002, but blah blah blah divorce etc, it never happened.
I am finally ready to pick one up. Can NOT wait, I have butterflies! But they're also there because of the issues I am aware of and the new ones I am learning about.
My single mom budget is kind of limited, so I don't know that I can get an '04 in my $$ range, but I found a fair '01 SE, and really LOVE this immaculate '03 SE7.
Help? Advice? other than the great posts about what to check before starting, after running for a bit, etc, what am I gonna ask them?
I am 4 minutes away from completing the rave.zip download.
Thanks!

Old 02-11-2012, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Because this is a new type of vehicle for you, with lots of extra parts that the bmwah did not have, you may want to consider having an indy mechanic check out the vehicle. An hour of his time can save you a great deal. While we can list things that may fail, and ways to fix them, nothing can beat a hands-on inspection. You can also use www.statewidelist.com to search all of craigslist in your state for Rover and it will output list sorted by metro area. Gives you some market prices.

BTW - the Rover has no idea which gender is holding the steering wheel or the wrench. It will humble either.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Overlanding

Thanks for that, Savannah Buzz...
I did check out the pricing, options, and mileage of D2 vehicles in and around my area.
I will post when I make my final decision on what I am going to get...

There's this white/tan beauty I like, an '03 with 93k, immaculate interior/ exterior (for now, as I may rough up the ext. a bit...) and I can probably snag it from the dealer for $6500.

The other one that I am not as thrilled about is black/tan '01 with 126k for $4500 and has it's minor cosmetic issues... However ~ I know there is something else going on with it, I can hear this hushed "whirring" when I test drive it, and then once when idling I heard what sounded like a very quiet firetruck siren as it is winding down. I mentioned it to the dealer, but you know dealers...

Last thing... any independent mechanic I have gone to for cars in the past, have not been the most fair. I have felt "bent over without dinner" so many times, it's not even funny. Not sure how but I will find a good mech I hope!

Old 02-11-2012, 08:53 AM
Overlanding

oh, but on that white '03... I have some terrific ammo now to knock the price down and I have been watching this baby for more than 3 months now at his price...

Old 02-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Check the vin range on that 2003 and prepare for head gaskets.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Overlanding
Default vin number

yah, the VIN fell right in the sour range... but I wasn't even able to test drive it, the dealer was such a "douche bag" lol....
I have moved on to check out other options in my area.
Found an '04 priced at $6500 or $6900 or something, waiting to hear back... 86k miles...
I think I am pretty much set on a 2002 for lots of reasons, but if this '04 looks good, test drives okay, I may be open to make the fella drop his price $$ talks, yes, but walk up there with $5k green cash in your hand and it's hard to say no to haha...