New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

just joined, looking to be one of you

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 01:40 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking just joined, looking to be one of you

Hi all –

I moved to northern MN from CA last year. Before you ask, I only spent a year in CA, I'm from snowy places, and I love it and serious cold and the middle of nowhere, so I am happier here. My new house is several miles down a dirt road and it's pretty washboardy, and, well, I haven't got a Land Rover. My '96 Jetta doesn't really love the road, and once the snows come in, I don't think it'll be very mobile at all. So, yep, I am here to find one of my own.

I'll be reading the forums and learning what I can as a total noob to these machines. Here's why I am in the market (let me know if I am in the wrong):

- they generally run forever
- rust doesn't slow them down too much
- they're mechanically simple and fairly easy to work on

That last point...I'm not a complete yutz when it comes to wrenching it, but it's been a while since I've had a car simple enough to work on easily. (Having to plug in a car to a computer to figure out most things – and try and figure out why the thing you did made something else turn off – is a, er, turn off.) Hopefully it'll work out.

So, in the meantime, hello all, looking forward to some chat. I'll be watching the classifieds (and if you're in northern MN/WI or eastern ND, say hello).

Thanks,
Micah

Old 09-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I replied to your PM but also wanted to post here so other members can tell you if the D1 I have for sale is worth it.

Here is a link to my FS ad on here:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/pr...d-price-61295/

For the TL;DR crowd, 1995 D1, 5-speed, new suspension, headgasket done 25k ago, u-joint DS conversion, $1800, some rust, and in the same state as the OP.

IMO these will run forever IF it's been kept up and if it doesn't rot away.