New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Looking for my first Rover. Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 06:25 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for my first Rover. Which one?

Hi, I'm new. I currently have a Jeep Scrambler that I use for weekend camping and mild four wheeling, but I'm tired of getting beat up by the HD suspension etc, and too hot or too cold, too dusty etc. Old enough for a grown up car I guess

I've been on several safaris in Africa, and always loved the Rovers we hunted in, but they are models we can't get in the states, and I have no idea where to start.

I'm 50 years old, 6'7" tall, so I need a roomy cabin. I want capable off roading, but I'm not afraid to spend money on upgrades. I sure like the looks of a certain 97 Discovery I see around my area, but have never gotten close enough to see inside etc, and have no idea if it's even a desirable model for what I want. IT WILL NOT be my daily driver. I'm in So Cal, so lots of desert.

Any suggestions for the best model for what I have in mind? Thanks in advance!

Mark

Old 01-31-2012, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

D1 has fewer enhancements, and a more basic design. The D2 has more refinements that can't be economically added to the D1 (not like bolting on a bumper). D1 has bigger radiator. Our tech area has a side by side comparison, and the RAVE manual set below has owners manuals and shop manuals for both vehicles. You can use www.statewidelist.com to search for all Rovers in your state (indexes craigslist) and it sorts by metro area, you spec price range of interest. As far as I can tell, the limit to what can be added to a Rover is only restricted by budget. Rovers can rightfully claim to be the most modified vehicle on the planet.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:15 AM
2nd Gear

Thank you for the reply, but I'm still a little confused. Are you saying the D1 is more basic, and therefor my reliable? A bigger radiator certainly seems like a plus. The larger motor option on the D2 sounds appealing though too?

When you talk about not being able to add upgrades to a D1, does that mean there are more accessories available for the D2?

Thanks and sorry for the dumb questions.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

No, the D2 has systems, like hill descent, etc., that can't easily transplant to a D1. Certain years of D2 lack the CDL function on the transfer case, and can be changed at a price.

The D1 is simpler designs, some parts are bigger, cheaper (wheel bearings are one example). The D1 has less electronics and widgets. Radiator is a trade off for different cooling system layout. 4.0 is rated at 187 HP, the 4.6 at 217, both at 4750 rpm. Both vehicles have been campaigned world wide in various off road events. Main thing is to have fun.

D1's are getting old. Along with age comes problems with everything eventually. Even if it is just parked out in the sunshine, something is dry -rotting. So a younger D2 will have more fun time, be more complex to repair. An aged D1 will be cheaper to keep, but may suffer senior citizen issues with little things that eat up time.

Best deal ever reported on this site was a D2 for $2000, with 117 miles. Garage kept by an eccentric owner.

You can porbably buy more aftermarket things that will fit D1s, but you really have great choices for either vehicle.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Three Wheeling

I just bought a 2003 S Discovery II with the 2 rear jump seats 145,000 very clean and straight. Paid $5,000. I am going thru the propeller shaft rebuilds, which is a few hundred in parts and two weekends. I love it so far, not the best on gas. Had it out a few times now and I couldn't be happier with the performance off road and the family is happy with the ride getting there and back.

Good luck with your choice whatever it is.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Rovers can rightfully claim to be the most modified vehicle on the planet.
My dad's 1964 Series IIA with disk brakes and a 300Tdi engine can a test to that

Old 02-07-2012, 08:19 PM
3rd Gear

I own a D1 and love it, although my next purchase (not planned yet) will be a Defender.