New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Maybe a future disco 2 owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 08:13 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe a future disco 2 owner

HI, My name is Kyle, I'm new to the Rovers. I'm looking at buying one, but I have a few concerns. Right now I'm eyeballing a 2001 Series II with 110,000 miles. Are there any issues I need to look at before buying? I am going to test drive it this weekend. Are they reliable? Are they expensive to operate?
I've heard about the issues on the 2003 oil pump thing, thats why i'm looking at a 2001 now. Or should i be looking for a different year all together?

I can post a link to the one I'm looking at if that would help.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:02 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by my03suby
HI, My name is Kyle, I'm new to the Rovers. I'm looking at buying one, but I have a few concerns. Right now I'm eyeballing a 2001 Series II with 110,000 miles. Are there any issues I need to look at before buying? I am going to test drive it this weekend. Are they reliable? Are they expensive to operate?
I've heard about the issues on the 2003 oil pump thing, thats why i'm looking at a 2001 now. Or should i be looking for a different year all together?

I can post a link to the one I'm looking at if that would help.
Read the "Write-Up and How-To" section, if you haven't already, there's a lot of good info in there about what to look for.

Most Rovers suffer from Headgasket issues, so ask the seller when (or if) they were done. Other than that, look at it like you would any other used car, check for leaks, ask for service records, etc,...

The best thing you can do at this point to help the "reliability" factor is to find a Disco that has been meticulously maintained and cared for. One that has been neglected will surely give you problems. And yeah, these trucks can be expensive, and do require preventative maintenance, but that's part of the ownership experience

I've had my '02 for a little over a year and have put 16K miles on it. The only money I've had to spend on maintenance/repair is for oil, filters, brakes, misc fluids and a battery. It was pampered before I bought it so I feel like I got pretty lucky.

Yes, post the link to the one you're looking at....