New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Mileage questions from a returning owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 06:22 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mileage questions from a returning owner

Hi Y'all!
I'm new to the forum, and don't know how much I'll be contributing early on, but I'll definitely have questions...

First, my question: I have an opportunity to get an older rover of some sort, and I'm wondering what experiences you folks have had with ultimate mileage before engine failure, based on "reasonable" maintenance practices.

Now, some background:
I bought an '88 Rangie, 40th anniversary edition back in 2001. Loved it. Had it for almost 5 years before it was T-boned by an oldsmobile whose driver decided that talking on her cell to her boyfriend was more important than paying attention to stoplights. I could have saved it, but finances and time being what they were made fixing it and dealing with a salvage title seem not worth it. I bought it at about 136K miles, and put about 30K on it, doing what I call "reasonable" upkeep: changing fluids, belts, hoses and filters more or less on time, keeping it topped up, replacing what broke (ps pump, alternator, seat switches, heater core, brake pads). Didn't do really appropriate maintenance (not like the recommended high mileage maint. suggested on the sticky at the front of the forum), but aside from the aformentioned, nothing really went wrong with the fundamentals of the truck, ever. I've missed it ever since. I guess what I'm saying is I understand its a British truck, with Lucas electronics, and, well, British oil seals, and parts are costly unless you are creative AND lucky. I WILL have a shop manual. I'm NOT afraid of most repairs.
Fast forward to Dec. 20th. I was rear ended in my 98 civic by a SUV going 45mph. I was going 0. totalled car, and I'm BACK in the market! Most trucks in my price range are 150K to 180K. I'm trying to determine if this is just too close to the EOL of the motor to jump back in.
Any input would be of great help!

thanks guys, in advance.
JC

Old 01-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Better start the year off right and posy question in their appropriate section, not here where it says"NO QUESTIONS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!