New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

My 1st Rover V8

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 01:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
Default My 1st Rover V8

Thanks for all the good info available here.

2004 Discovery on local CL caught my eye while looking for a second vehicle. Contacted seller with several questions about it's history, decided I was very interested and would like to take a look which was delayed for several days due to their travel. Did a lot of reading over those days that should dissuade many folks from purchasing a LR.

Diligent research led me to believe that despite numerous reliability issues/ratings/complaints there's much potential life left in a clean well maintained low mileage Disco.

After taking my look and test drive caught a whiff of coolant smell. Returned the next day and spent some time underneath to find a near perfect totally rust free chassis/body and evidence of a leaking LH head gasket at rear of engine. Negotiated some on the price and now mine.

Do my own maintenance/mechanical work, gaskets/fasteners ordered for the coolant leak, will begin to do that repair and the other recommended maintenance/upgrades.

Plan to be around here for a while.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:28 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

welcome

Old 11-30-2015, 09:24 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congratulation....

Old 11-30-2015, 01:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to the forum. How about some pictures of your new Disco.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:21 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new Discovery Sport

The Price in vietnam too expensive. 150.000 USD.
Some picture

Attached Thumbnails My 1st Rover V8-discovery-sport-32-.jpg   My 1st Rover V8-discovery-sport-34-.jpg   My 1st Rover V8-discovery-sport-39-.jpg   My 1st Rover V8-discovery-sport-16-.jpg   My 1st Rover V8-discovery-sport-62-.jpg  

Old 12-01-2015, 08:07 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bacckd
The Price in vietnam too expensive. 150.000 USD.
Some picture
wtf?

Old 12-01-2015, 08:12 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by number9
Thanks for all the good info available here.

2004 Discovery on local CL caught my eye while looking for a second vehicle. Contacted seller with several questions about it's history, decided I was very interested and would like to take a look which was delayed for several days due to their travel. Did a lot of reading over those days that should dissuade many folks from purchasing a LR.

Diligent research led me to believe that despite numerous reliability issues/ratings/complaints there's much potential life left in a clean well maintained low mileage Disco.

After taking my look and test drive caught a whiff of coolant smell. Returned the next day and spent some time underneath to find a near perfect totally rust free chassis/body and evidence of a leaking LH head gasket at rear of engine. Negotiated some on the price and now mine.

Do my own maintenance/mechanical work, gaskets/fasteners ordered for the coolant leak, will begin to do that repair and the other recommended maintenance/upgrades.

Plan to be around here for a while.

Sounds like you got a good deal.

I'm on the other side here - got a sweet deal on a '99 DII, no history but just had to get me through a year or two. 8 years later I'm in love and not sure what direction to go. Engine is running okay for a 17 YO vehicle, HG must have been done at least once.

Anyways, body rust/corrosion is rather severe and may end the life of this thing before the driveline does, which would be really sad.

If you have a good body and chassis, there isn't much you need to worry about for the long run - you can fix the other stuff with some blood sweat and tears lol. The chassis can end the life of a DII. I'm thinking about grinding off all the sandwich layers of expanded rust and boxing mine in with a couple drain holes, maybe spray foam, but not sure how much that'll help.

-Alex