New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

need help with 97 disco

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 03:59 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: need help with 97 disco

VSS would have nothing to do with starting. Looks like you need A new starter. Speedo jump is almost always VSS. Nothing to reset, unless Check Engine light is on. Even if it is, it will go off after driving several times.

Old 04-09-2005, 03:44 PM
8th Gear

Bait,
I didn't think a reset was neccessary (Just a little wishful thinking). I found a starter online for $199 US. Would you agree that it is worth it to just replace the whole thing. I saw online that there was a fix kit that someone had used in a problem similiar to mine. DO you have any experience with those. My only experience with starters was rebuilding the one in my outboard and i swore i would that no matter how much it cost i would never try to do one myself again. hopefully you can confirm this so i have no problem spending the $200 plus labor. thanks for all your help.
burton

Old 04-09-2005, 11:56 PM
Winching

Starters, Alternators, And transmissions are not typically worth trying to rebuild yourself. Unless you do it everyday, your wasting your time. I have never tried rebuilding A Rover/Bosch starter. Are you sure the starter is spinning and not engaging ? As far as price, I don't really know. Check with RoversNorth, AtlanticBritish, Ebay, and your local auto parts store. They may be able to get you A rebuild.

It is probably A simple job for A rebuilder. But for you and me, it's just A pain in the ars.

Old 04-10-2005, 03:46 PM
Overlanding

to answer your question bait i ream out the exhaust guides and installed the carbon brake valves

Old 04-10-2005, 06:03 PM
8th Gear

bait,
I am pretty sure that it is spinning and just not engaging. I hear a whinning noise as if something is spinning real fast with no resistance. after i turn the key back you can hear the spinning slow down until it stops about 5 seconds later. have had a busy weekend so haven't been able to look at it to much. will probably try to replace it myself although i hear the space is very tight and involves a few profanities.
Thanks again. Burton

Old 04-30-2005, 03:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle

the bendix is broken inside the starter. a new starter will fix this problem, so will a new bendix but i assume a new starter is easier to find. the bendix is a little spring inside the starter that holds back a gear the cranks the flywheel when you turn the key. when the key is turned, the started turns on and the bendix is overpowered by the starter motor, causing the starter gear to engage with the flywheel gear. in turn, giving the flywheel a approximately 1/3 or 2/3 speed of idle. that is when your ignition and fuel kick in, completing the four stroke cycle.

1)Intake of Fuel and air, intake valve open, cylinder moves down, causing vacuum sucking in fuel and air,
2)compression of fuel and air, both valve closed, cylinder moves up, ignition fires 10 degrees before TDC (top dead center)
3)power, both valves remain closed, cylinder is forced down due to previous ignition,
4)Exhaust, exhaust valve opens, cylinder moves up and forces burned fuel and air gases (exhaust) out of combustion chamber.

basically what that says is that a motor is an air pump.