New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New D1 owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 01:46 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New D1 owner

Hi,
I was given a 1996 D1 by a friend. It was part of an estate settlement and has been sitting for at least 3 years and requires a lot of TLC. I will definitely be searching these forums for help and most likely be asking many questions.

Glen

Old 09-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome. In our tech area you will find list of things to do to catch up maintenace. Many times the radiator has developed calcium clogs, they are brass and copper,can be removed, side tank unsoldered, and unit rodded out.

The shop and owner manuals are called the RAVE, free download below.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:00 PM
6th Gear

Thanks, I have downloaded rave and read a lot... I'm going to have to change fuel lines, brake lines and a few cosmetic parts and I hope to get it going.. Fluid changes soon right after the fuel pump... LOL.

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Welcome.
In our tech area you will find list of things to do to catch up maintenace. Many times the radiator has developed calcium clogs, they are brass and copper,can be removed, side tank unsoldered, and unit rodded out.

The shop and owner manuals are called the RAVE, free download below.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:37 PM
6th Gear

Hi Savannah Buzz,
The vehicle has been sitting for a couple of years...anything I should do right away to make sure it's Ok? Fluids, greasing etc. I know the lines for fuel and brakes need to be changed as they are quite corroded. Any help is very much appreciated.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Has it been cranked since it sat for several years?

If not cranked yet, consider new plugs, and squirt a little oil into each one (rings). New plug wires. 8mm silicone.

You can disconnect fuel fittings at rear of the fuel rail, and jumper pump to run, forcing what yuk is in there to be pumped out. Like 12 feet of yuk. Change fuel filter. Fresh premium fuel.

Oil and filter change. Shell Rotella 15W40, WIX 51515 filter. New standard paper air filter.

The filter system for air into the hood area and down to heater fan will need to be replaced, the coarse plastic "cut your own" filters from hardware store are fine.

New battery. Clean up terminals, plus the black wire to the frame down by bottom of radiator.

Transfer case and both differentials - 85W140 oil. Garden sprayer to pump it in.

Front swivel joints (CVs) use oil or grease depending on your choice.

flush radiator (it can be rodded out by a shop, it is copper/brass. Reverse flush heater core. Refill with 50/50 green premix coolant.

Brake flush with 2 quarts DOT 4 fluid.

Replace all vac lines. Especially short one from fuel regulator to intake.

Remove and clean IACV with carb cleaner.

Remove and clean MAF with made for MAF sensor spray (only when engine cold).

Old 09-12-2013, 08:56 AM
6th Gear

Excellent info, thanks. The vehicle has been started a few times in the last couple of years. and was started a few days ago. It seemed to run fine after I fixed a couple of vacuum leaks :-) I will be changing all fluids as soon as I can and before it is run again.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

For the price you can't beat it. I mentioned the radiator because chemical process of growing deposits takes place 24/7, just faster when heated. Any metal surface exposed to air on inside (engine via PCV, differentials and transmission via breather tubes) will have condensation added to the fluid.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:24 AM
1st Gear

Hey guys. I'm new here. I just bought a 95 disco 3 days ago. It definitely needs some work. So I'm probably going to be on here a lot. My goal is to make this disco shine again.