New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New D2 In a New City

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 12:58 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New D2 In a New City

I'm new to the LR family however have been researching them for a while. I just moved to Denver from Los Angeles and picked up a 2004 SE7 Discovery with 72,500 mile. Very pumped for what is to come. Excited to learn and start checking off some of the used car recommended maintenance. Hopefully won't have to post on here to much, but at least I know where to go for honest answers and good banter.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome. Look at our tech area and see the high miles service list. Download the free copy of the RAVE, the factory shop and owners manual. In particular, inspect the front driveshaft which should have more than one grease fitting if rebuilt. The stock shaft can split with almost no warning and knock big hole in transmission. See prop shaft rebuild article in tech section. Consider as an upgrade wih an Ultra Gauge, which will read and reset engine codes, plus display live data, like coolant temp. Don't trust dash heat gauge, it will stay on 50% until you are smoking'. Don't run 30 weight oil, factory says that is only good below 95F. 15W40 Shell Rotella is a good oil to run, or the Rotella 5W40 synthetic. 5000 mile drain intervals, don't scrimp on this.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the tips. The front shaft has not been rebuilt. I greased the other joints and the shafts just to be safe until I can get to it, the rebuild is my first real project. Today I changed the t/ case oil, only a few small metal shavings, no leaks. Need to do a flush of the coolant system as there is the orange crap in there, will do the new cap and t/stat then too.

I also did the carb cleaner in the throttle body today. It was running a bit rough at first, but now smoother than ever. The SES light has came and has stayed on, from the other posts I read this seams fairly common and may turn off by itself. The Ultra Gauge seems to be a good investment.

There is a small oil leak coming from the front d/s valve cover bolt. I tightened that, it was loose, and will clean and check this weekend. There was quite a bit of crud caked on the motor all the way down to the oil pan from the valve cover leak, hope that is all it was.

Is there any special maintenance to do to prepare for a Colorado winter? Bought the car from a dealership, it was traded in by the original owner. Seems to be in very good condition, except a driver side door that sticks a bit. The dealership did an oil change 3 days ago, should I still go ahead and change it to be sure I have the right oil in it?

Thanks for all the help, look forward to being an active member of this community.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:36 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome, Get that front shaft taken care of right away. Hope you enjoy your truck!

Old 09-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to Denver, if you have any questions, I am close, just give me a shout.
As for the drive shaft, mine failed at around 37,000 miles, don't put it off and if you need help, I can send you a PDF on how to rebuild it
Also take a look at my major service list posted on a sticky in the D2 section.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the offer Mike, I'm probably going to do the rebuild the end of this week. I would love to get a copy of that PDF. One question tho (I'm sure I know the answer), Is it best to replace all the u joints even if the greasable (sp.) ones look good?

Old 09-10-2012, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts
Old 09-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome! I visit LA a few times a year... love it there. Would love to take my 04 DII there one day... permanently.

You probably only have greasable u-joints on the rear shaft. But you have no idea if the previous owner re-greased it when they were supposed to. The rear propshaft is a piece of cake. It's the front that takes more patience, because of the double cardan.

Welcome again... and enjoy!

-Anthony