New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New Girl

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 06:15 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea its only has 117 miles in it. but idk he really loved it buthe had to sel cause his wifelol. but yeah other than that it looks nice but im going to hoses, belt, front prop shaft. i might replace the tire withsome some all season ones and then call it a day.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:19 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He loved it so much he drove it 11.7 miles a year?....Come on

I am submitting a formal request for a picture of the odometer.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Ms. Moxie,

Baltimore is known for good body shops, but it is unlikely that some one would make a truck look and feel new , and part with it for $2K. Even if it has 117,000, $2K is not bad. Tire date codes might reveal soemthing.

But consider that it has very old gasoline in it, so fill with good stuff, and toss in a can of solvent like BG 44, SeaFaom, etc., to do something about evaporated varnish.

Main thing would be to have a serious talk with insurance company. If it really is a "new" vehicle, they may think if you total it they can pay you for what those would be worth today with high miles. You may have to get "restored vintage car" style insurance to have proper coverage.

A woman that wields a wrench, knows the difference between chicken salad and chicken steak, and drives a hard bargain. The country could use you and a lot more like you on a certain hill in a nearby district known more for wasting money at incredible speed....

Old 10-19-2011, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Ms. Moxie,

Might also want to inquire at dealership about any recalls you would be covered for if milage based....

Old 10-19-2011, 06:14 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

the good news is you can't reset the odometer on these trucks, sticking a new console on it won't reset the mileage. you would have to put a NEW ecu and a NEW console... no one in their right mind would spend that much money just to show a disco with low mileage. if the mileage didnt match it would be blinking. then you know something is fishy.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

And if miles are true, you would think that everything looks showroom fresh (it was garaged), paint would not look re-done, no accumulation of stuff underside or around radiator area (bugs, etc.), tires would have really bad flat spots, date codes on tires would be of that era, battery, gunk on inside of rear bumper trapped from road grime, don't know if a testbook can determine actual number of crank up cycles or warm up cycles, and there should be a heck of an oil spot in the garage (just kidding). Seems like you would also have that film that forms on the inside glass from evaporation of plastics in the truck. I guess the water pump bearing may be early to fail, cooling system will need flush. Fuel will be crap, varnish build up from stale fuel evaporation. All the dino based lubricants will have changed value if not in totally sealed area with no air.

But why would a PO sell a new truck for next to nothing? Almost sounds like the guy who left his wife, told her to sell the Porsche and send him the money, so she sold the 911 for $50.

And while I bet insurance will be higher for a "new" old truck, the tag should be a pleasant change.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:27 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my dad says technically new is in the 0 to 30 miles. since it has a 117 miles on it isnt considered new by geico (my parents insurance). I'm really young so i couldn't get it on my own without it being psychotically high. But Rob i will submit a pic as soon as i can.

The paint is good and everything, but i will change the tires. And all the quirks your talking. No i actually think his wife said her or the car. so he sold it to me. i mean it was going to be 4000 but i sweetened him down to 2 grand. plus im not sure if he is even into the car like you guys are. So maybe thats why, but he sold it to me and its not a lemon so im happy with it

Old 10-19-2011, 03:31 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

not sure what the wife looks like but i would have taken the truck...