New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New guy from NJ

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 05:37 PM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New guy from NJ

New menber from NJ here. Present Land Rover master tech. Feel free to throw questions my way. I'll help if I can. I also do side work. Anyone not wanting to pay the dealer prices, feel free to reach out to me. I'll answer your questions if I can

Steve

The following users liked this post:
jsda77 (12-20-2016)
Old 10-05-2010, 11:07 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there Steve, very nice to meet you and possibly just in time too. I just had my final "Warranty" service (45K miles) yesterday at Land Rover Princeton, NJ. Conveniently, the rep told me my brakes were on their last leg and I need new brakes/rotors (for the low price of $1,200). I am hearing squeeling indeed however, my rotors look fine on eyeballing and there is no vibration when I'm braking to indicate any rotor damage.

Is this a real need or should I just get the brakes done? Does NJ even allow that (replacing brakes and not the rotor)? Any help provided would be a God send. Thank you.

The Fonz

Old 10-06-2010, 03:53 PM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, theres no state law that says you have to replace them as a set. Discovery 2 will generally go through 2 sets of pads per 1 set of rotors. Ex 1st brake job jst pads. 2nd brake job pads and rotors. This is just a general rule of thumb. If your on your second set of pads on the present rotors chances are you need pads + rotors. If you need them done im certain I can come in well under 1200.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Steve if you wanna come wheeling with us check out the site in my sig.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:01 PM
5th Gear

This would be my first brake job at 45K so as you said, should only need brakes vs rotors, unless there is noticeable damage.

If you can do the job at a better rate, please lete know the details (alfonza.howard@yahoo.com)

The Fonz
'07 LR3 SE

Old 10-08-2010, 12:26 AM
1st Gear
Default brakes

I just got a 1999 discovery 2 from a family member has 88,000 miles and is fully loaded, excellent shape. I was going over service records and saw the brakes were done at local dealer at 69,000. They charged a whopping price of $1,197.11 for front and rear pads and rotors. $550.00 of this total was for labor. The car has a violent rear end shake that starts at 70 mph and stops at 80,000. This is normally attributed to disc run out that will eventually causes a condition know as DTV (DISC THICKNESS VARIATION). Disc run out is common when discs are replaced improperly, either the hub mating surface wasn't cleaned, excessive mounting grease, or most commonly INCORRECT TIGHTENING OF ROTOR STUDS/LUG NUTS. Impact wrenches do not deliver accurate torque. Fasteners should be tightened by hand and gradually torque in a cross pattern until recommended torque value is achieved. 1999 disc 2 - 140 Nm 103 ft/lbs. discs/rotors not fitted properly will initially make a clicking or rubbing noise at each tire revolution without the brakes being applied. Return vehicle to shop and have rotors checked for run out. If not corrected this constant once per revolution rotor pad contact will wear a microscopic thin spot in the rotor, causing brakes to pulsate when applied and a vibration at high speeds even when brakes are not applied. The thin spot (DTV) causes the vibration after a period of 4,000 miles or more. This is not grounds for warranty. Anyone can install brakes wrong; dealers all have very high labor prices. Never install new pads without replacing or having rotors machined. Most shops do not resurface rotors, it is time consuming, ties up the shop, and reduces profits.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:54 AM
4th Gear

My name is waqar and I'd just like to say hi to everyone. As everybody knows that nowadays forums are the best source of Knowledge, and through forums we can learn a lot. When I heard of the community I thought it would be wonderful to expand to a new community, meet like minded people and share thoughts and services with fellow members.I am sure there's a lot of interesting topics and discussions happening on this forum and wanted to check it out.I was looking for a new forum to join and the higher powers of Google has brought me here! I look forward to meeting you all and wish you the best of success.