New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New Land Rover - LYH, VA

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Land Rover - LYH, VA

I just bought my first Land Rover, a 2000 Discovery...its white with tan leather, 178K and runs and drives great. It has a couple minor issues but overall its a good truck and I look forward to many fun miles.

Last edited by collisoncorner; 07-26-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome! First order of buiness is determine if your front drive shaft is original, if it is, it will need rebuilding or replacement as it can snap and poke giant hole in transmission. In our tech section write up on that, 60K miles service list, type of oil to run, and other fun things. Download the RAVE, the factory set of shop and owner manuals (free link below). Don't trust temp gauge, look at an Ultra gauge as a mod.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

greetings and welcome to the forum. Lots of great guys and gals on here with a wealth of infomation. Try using the search tab above as if you have a question it will probably have been asked before. Embrace the joy and frustration that comes with owning a Land Rover

Old 07-27-2012, 06:59 AM
Drifting

Thanks! I have already been searching on the few issues that I currently have and pretty much found the answers, but I will list them for the sake of knowledge. And I already downloaded the manual for my D2

Issues

1) blinking odometer (I have a receipt for an ECU and battery replacement in Jan '12) so thats probably the culprit.
2) needs tires bad (4) and current dont appear to be original size - from what I have read so far, 255\65 R16 is what I should be buying)
3) AC not cold (that sucks here in VA right now) but it prob just needs a charge
4) Oh yeah, the radio doesnt work, have NOT checked the fuse yet but thats a real minor issue....
5) The rear ladder is rusted out on two of the rungs....

But, it runs good, sounds good, tracks straight, all the power options work like windows and sunroofs, seats, lights, etc...there are no leaks, no rattles

When the temp drops below 95 I will get out and do a closer inspection...

The current oil is clean and at the fill mark so I am going to leave that for now, coolant is new, even the headlight nozzle things work (the point of them escapes me) but they work!!

Thanks again!

Last edited by collisoncorner; 07-27-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome aboard! I am down in the Roanoke area, in Fincastle to be exact. We need to catch up. There are some nice events here in VA and Northeast NC that are for all levels of trucks and driver and a good way to learn about your truck.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Drifting

Thanks Tony! Yeah, once I get a couple months of street driving in to get used to it, and get the bugs worked out I would love to see what others can do with these things

I will be around until I get sick of it or it leaves me stranded in Northern Canada....then it becomes iceburg art....

I only paid $900 for it...inspected too....so if its a lemon it becomes a parts truck....but I looked it over real good and I might have just got real lucky....