New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New Land Rover Owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 05:00 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Land Rover Owner

I recently purchased a new 02 LR Discovery SE at an insurance auction for $1,500. It was risky but the vehicle appears to be in decent shape besides some front end body damage.

It was in a front end collision which appears to have only damaged the front radiator support assembly, hood, and bumper.

I have recently:

1. serviced the battery
2. replaced the auxiliary drive belt
3. replaced all coolant hose clamps
4. replaced the heater device underneath the throttle body and fixed the small seeping leak that was draining from it.
5. replaced spark plugs
6. replaced oil and coolant

Now the vehicle runs very smoothly and shifts well but I have started to take apart the front radiator support. I purchased a new one from a salvage yard and replaced the hood. I am trying to save some money over the holidays and wish to replace the radiator support myself. Any advice would be appreciated.

Does anyone have experience removing that front end radiator support assembly and can give me any tips in dealing with the air conditioning system that appears to run through the right side where the horn is?

Dave L.
02 Discovery SE V8
Tennessee

Last edited by DISCOVERY02; 11-22-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The RAVE manual (set of shop manuals) has a section called exterior fittings, which will show you how to get bumpers and assorted pieces off, plus body panel repairs, etc. Free download links. I have attached a few pages about the AC condenser. If you have to open the system to outside air, the drier will have to be replaced. Certain parts of your state have u-pull junk yards, so you can go look at a carcass and even tinker with it to warm up for yours.

While you are doing this, I would advise to replace the thermostat with a new one rated at a lower temp, it is generically called the 180F soft spring thermostat, but won't be at local parts store, will have to order on line from places like Atlantic British, etc. The coolant temp gauge will point at 50% until it is too late. A device like a scanner or Ultra Gauge can help you keep an eye on the temps.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 condenser 1.pdf (1.17 MB, 63 views)
File Type: pdf
d2 rad pages 3.pdf (738.4 KB, 58 views)
Old 11-22-2012, 10:55 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank You

Thanks for your help, I will definitely study these carefully. Yes, I did replace the thermostat with a calorstat (forgot to mention it in my post) when I replaced the belt.

I had the convenience of finding some new parts from other land rovers at a junk yard here in town.