New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New Member with VELAR issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 05:03 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member with VELAR issue

Hello Everyone,

I just joined this forum today and I'm hoping you can provide me with some general guidance / thoughts given an issue I'm having.

On Wednesday, March 7th, in the evening I leased a Velar P380 HSE from Howard Orloff Motors in Chicago. After signing papers I sat in the car with my sales associate and she started walking me through some of the tech. The main screen kept freezing. We turned the car off. Stepped away, turned it back on...but the problem continued. I had read about this and heard it was a glitch that occasionally happened. It was late, I was hungry. The sales associate said I could just come back in the morning for them to do an update and she could then walk me through all the tech in another Velar while the update was taking place. On the way home (a 10 minute drive through the city) the main screen (what you'd consider the nav screen I suppose) and the screen right above the gear shifter shut off and turned back on roughly 7 times. The next day the same was occurring.

Thursday morning I return to the dealership and she walks me through the tech. Gives me a loaner Velar to drive around and get to know the tech while they're performing a software update. The update was going at a snails pace. It took until next morning for the update to be complete. The issue was still occurring. They reached out to LR engineering and were given another option that should fix the problem. Again the update was going at a snails pace. This morning I find out that this update failed to fix the issue and they're waiting for LR engineering to get back to them on Monday.

In the meantime I do have a Velar loaner but it is a far cry from the fully loaded HSE version that I leased. If this issue happened after a month, then I would be upset, but it would just be what it is. What highly upsets me is the fact that this happened on the dealer lot and I took delivery of this vehicle under the pretense that it was going to be a simple fix. Rookie and stupid mistake on my part.

My question for all of you here is have any Velar owners had this issue where the updates were failing to fix this type of glitch? Also, I really would appreciate any advice or general thoughts on how you would recommend I proceed with the dealer if this turns out to be a problem that is not able to be repaired this upcoming week.

Paul
Range Rover Velar
P380 HSE
Mileage: 126

Old 07-04-2018, 12:21 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Morning Paul, Happy 4th of July!!

I don't have direct knowledge about the slow software updates but boy do I have some feedback on issues in general.

We have had our new Velar S P380 for one month now. We are in the outskirts of Salt Lake City. It's about a 80 mile round trip to our dealership. We took delivery without much "Tech Review" but were assured that an Encore person would come to our home whenever we wanted to make an appointment. I'm pretty tech savvy and wanted to get the voice recognition working. Everything worked fine until I couldn't get the voice recognition to work on Navigation. We have used this feature extensively on our three Benz, the last being an AMG and on our Ford truck. I couldn't get it to work, only voice recognition on Media and Cell Phone. We had them deliver a loaner so they could work on it and were told the next day that voice recognition was not yet available for Navigation. That certainly wasn't what the sales guy said, nor the Service Advisor when we scheduled it to go in. They spent hours downloading updated software and map and it still didn't work. They checked with the big guys and were told that there was no voice recognition for Navigation yet. I personally called the Land Rover Customer Support Center and worked with a Sr. Manager who confirmed it would be 3rd or 4th quarter. Well, Ok, I complained but went with the flow. Then I couldn't get the Route Planner App to work. Luckily for me the Sr. Manager was willing to work with me to insure all of the parameters on the car were set properly and we got it working.

Next item was I discovered the two corners of the rear spoiler had a gray discolor effect under the clear coat. Our P380 is black. They once again delivered a loaner and took our car. Delivered it back in little over a day. They told me they took a spoiler off another car on the lot to put on our P380, that sounded great! They delivered the car back and soon we discovered the spoiler was about 1/2 inch lower than the roof where it joined but only on one side only. I then discovered that one of the corners again had the gray discoloration, very slightly but hey, a 75K car shouldn't have any paint discoloration not to mention the spoiler issue. They had originally told me that there were no spoilers anywhere in the US or in the UK but assured me that when they got it in it would be painted and would be put on my car. I'm done with having them drive all those miles so they agreed to now flatbed the P380 back and forth to their dealership.

Yesterday all of a sudden the A/C stopped working, blowing only hot air. I called and they immediately agreed to send a loaner down and to truck our P380 to the dealership tomorrow the 5th of July. When talking with the Service Manager on the phone he said they got the spoiler in and it was in the paint shop. WHAT?? I really don't think there has been enough time to get that spoiler that wasn't available anywhere in the US or UK delivered to their dealership and already in the paint shop. We feel we were are being lied too!!

Yesterday as well, the Encore Person who still hadn't returned a call to come and show us the Tech capabilities on the car was in fact the person that delivered the loaner. We mentioned the Voice Recognition and she said "Oh I can get that going fast"!! WHAT again, who is lying to us and why??

We have stopped driving all that way to the dealership. We are demanding that they flat bed the car to their dealership and back to our home. We have also gone the extra step to say if we are not happy with the results with these issues and future issues we will park the car on a very busy mountain road and put a sign on it about it being a Lemon Range Rover. Just saying.

We had a Benz C450 AMG that went belly up 2 years ago and after driving a loaner for two months they bought it back, refunding all money expended in the down and monthly payments.

I'm calling Land Rover USA Tomorrow and opening a trouble ticket with a Manager to follow whats going on with this car. We were in heaven with it originally and now we are asking what the heck we did.

Good luck to you!!
Dave