Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Sticks, Bricks...and Kudos

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 04:20 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticks, Bricks...and Kudos

Most people have, at one time or another, a problem with their mechanic, their dealer or a service manager over a customer service or product issue but, hopefully, you reach some sort of happy medium and everyone moves on.

I had a horrific (and expensive) experience with Land Rover of Santa Fe and Land Rover of Albuquerque (both owned by the same group) and won't ever refer friends - or Nigel, my Land Rover Discovery - there again BUT (!) I have to say that Land Rover North America went above and beyond to make me believe in the brand again.

They responded to a certified letter within 24 hours of receipt even though the dealership - and the dealership's owner - couldn't be bothered to even send me an email saying "sorry to hear about this, I'm looking into it."

It's been a month and while I have never heard a word from the dealership, Land Rover North America has been brilliant about their follow-through. While Land Rover Santa Fe and Land Rover Albuquerque could use serious lessons in PR, customer service and marketing (sticks and bricks, guys) I send only kudos to Land Rover North America. I've had three Rovers in the last twenty years and was so disgusted by how I was treated at the NM dealerships that, ready for a new car, had begun shopping and test driving Lexus.

Now, even if I don't buy it in NM, I just might get another Rover...

Congrats to Land Rover North America for having the common sense to listen - and respond - to legitimate customer issues.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Dealers and all firms should realize that customer service is job one, and you have done your job when everyone wins, and the customer believes he came out ahead. There is no such thing as a captive market anymore. A manager should look forward to the challenge of a "difficult" customer, it puts all your skills to the test. It also inspires the team that works with you, and some of that might just rub off on them when they are not looking.

Sometimes the customer has to strive to get attention. My pal Burt is a super salesman, and covered the Atlanta area. He had a Caddy with the plate "OFFICE" and did most appointments at the homes of clients and prospects. When the Caddy acted up, and really turned into a lemon, he was ignored by the dealer, a chain based in the northeast. He got attention by making up oversized yellow diamonds that said "Warning: This is the last Potamkin Cadillac I will Ever own", on the "baby on board" theme. He took 11 X 17 color prints of the car with signs affixed and mailed them to the home office of the dealer and Cadillac marketing VP in Detroit. He explained that he saw new homeowners in Atlanta, who usually had been promoted to regional manager of xyz, and moved there. He asked them if they wanted the first thing these folks saw was that sign... since many of the promoted would be moving up in automobiles.

He got the replacement car, even though his was almost 3 years old at the time.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by New Mexico
Most people have, at one time or another, a problem with their mechanic, their dealer or a service manager over a customer service or product issue but, hopefully, you reach some sort of happy medium and everyone moves on.

I had a horrific (and expensive) experience with Land Rover of Santa Fe and Land Rover of Albuquerque (both owned by the same group) and won't ever refer friends - or Nigel, my Land Rover Discovery - there again BUT (!) I have to say that Land Rover North America went above and beyond to make me believe in the brand again.

They responded to a certified letter within 24 hours of receipt even though the dealership - and the dealership's owner - couldn't be bothered to even send me an email saying "sorry to hear about this, I'm looking into it."

It's been a month and while I have never heard a word from the dealership, Land Rover North America has been brilliant about their follow-through. While Land Rover Santa Fe and Land Rover Albuquerque could use serious lessons in PR, customer service and marketing (sticks and bricks, guys) I send only kudos to Land Rover North America. I've had three Rovers in the last twenty years and was so disgusted by how I was treated at the NM dealerships that, ready for a new car, had begun shopping and test driving Lexus.

Now, even if I don't buy it in NM, I just might get another Rover...

Congrats to Land Rover North America for having the common sense to listen - and respond - to legitimate customer issues.
I have done some business with them. My current rover was origionally bought at Land Rover ABQ. I bought it from the original owner.... When I asked them to send me the service records they were jerks. I eventually was able to get LRNA to send them to me. They were sorry about LR ABQ being rude...

Old 09-15-2011, 07:36 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice, Atancreti?

Hey Atancreti:

Not sure if you're still NM-based but am curious...

Besides doing major repairs at the dealership, I had a terrific independent mechanic in Santa Fe who specialized in Rovers and who's closed shop. I don't have any intention of giving Land Rover ABQ or Land Rover Santa Fe any new business...I'm wondering if you could recommend a good independent shop for Rover maintenance in the ABQ area?

It's interesting - at a recent dinner party I had someone ask about my car's recent repair (towed in for third time in less than 8 months) and when I mentioned my complete disgust with how I was handled by the dealership, the ownership and the service manager at the Albuquerque location, I was stunned to hear two others at the party tell about experiences either they or other family members had had with the same dealership (all ABQ, btw, although Santa Fe is owned by the same owner) and how all of them had stopped using the dealership for service and/or had bought other models of car.

Of course, unlike Los Angeles or, say, Dallas, we don't have the option of locating another Land Rover dealership easily...

Although I was assured by the dealership's service manager that LRNA wouldn't help me, they did (and professionally) and I'm not ready to give up on the model yet...just on giving the dealership any more business.

Can you recommend anyone in the Central New Mexico area who works on LRs and uses LR parts?

Old 09-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Winching

I'm no longer in NM. I currently live in Des Moines IA. I try to do all my own repairs. I met this guy who dose fantastic work and is really cheap ( not to be racial, but he is from Mexico and dose not like to screw people) he let's me use his shop and tools. Hell I had to put a new front cover on my rover and a bunch of other stuff he even had to finish it and only charged $100.00 I of course always give way more! As far as parts: I use Atlantic British, bp Utah, rock auto, rovers north, and British pacific.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:55 AM
Winching

I think there is a rover club called great basin rovers, southwest rover, or something like that. Maybe they would know. Also post that question on the other forum on here. Title it " Anyone know a good NM repair shops"