New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Potential 1st time LR owner.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 06:23 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Potential 1st time LR owner.

Hello all!
My name is Tim and I live in central Oklahoma.
Looking for advice from the Land Rover community.
About to buy my first Land Rover, a 1999 Discovery 2. It is in "fair" condition cosmetically, but everything works and it drives like new. It has 121,000 miles on it. I can get it for $2,500 (you can barely get a rusty 1980s pickup truck for that around here ).
I used to have a '95 Jeep Wrangler and I miss having a true off road vehicle as I occasionally need one (I'm a photographer and I go ghost- town hunting on the weekends, so I'm often out in the bush).
I like the comfort and cargo utility of the LR, but I admit I'm a little concerned about potential high repairs and maintenance costs over the Jeeps.
Any and all advice from other Land Rover owners, especially daily drivers, would be much appreciated!
Thank you!

Pictures from the ad:

Attached Thumbnails Potential 1st time LR owner.-image-2270095777.jpg   Potential 1st time LR owner.-image-845386938.jpg   Potential 1st time LR owner.-image-1949745124.jpg  
Old 01-19-2014, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

have a pre purchase inspection done.

Potential problems -

front oem drive shaft does not have grease fittings on the doubled end, and these dry out and snap, slamming a hole in the tranny. Upgrade shaft now and grease every oil change.

weak oil pump (have mechanic check with pressure gauge, or add one).

overheating - factory gauge is unreliable - plug in an OBDII scanner, a good cheap one is the ULtra Gauge, see coolant temp. Refit with 180F Rover thermostat. Radiator too skinny for effective flush and rod out, replace. Do not use Dexcool coolant.

Off road - take tools and carry a spare crank position sensor.

Download the RAVE shop manual series in links below. Carry on smart phone or lap top.

You will notice the off road ride is luxury compared to the Jeep. Parts can be had local, on line, and even on-line dismantlers. If you plan for a dealer to maintain it you need to have serious photo ad accounts (like Coca Cola). Indy shops and DIY are much cheaper.

Of course you realize that a big honking roof rack would make a great camera platform for those Ansel Adams moments.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:43 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I am not sure that the cost of repairs is much greater from a jeep to a Rover if you do the repairs yourself. If you don't do them yourself you need to have a good shop close by and be prepared to pay extra. Where I live none of the shops will work on a Rover.

Jeeps are easier to fix if you do it yourself. By far. I know this from experience.

What is much more expensive with a Rover is accessories and add ons.

2500 is cheap if it is a mechanically sound vehicle of any stripe, no matter it's brand. If you don't buy it please let me know. I'm close enough to come look at it.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:01 PM
Drifting

Thank you very much guys!
I'll check out those parts for modifying the cooling system. I have heard that recommended before.
I'm not too terribly mechanically inclined, but that Wrangler was so easy to tear into. I did most of my own repairs and maintenance on it. This vehicle will be a different story. Fortunately, there is a local LR specialty shop with a good rep.

I'm still kind-of on the fence about it, but it is listed in the OKC Craigslist classifieds (located in Choctaw) if you'd like to check it out. I won't be back in the area until Tuesday, and already told myself that if someone else bought it, I'd call it fate and look for the next vehicle.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:49 AM
Drifting

Well I picked it up, and it's really a great driving vehicle. I'm anxious to put it to work. It has a few things that need attention, mostly cosmetic. Functionally, the drivers door lock sticks, and it has a slight valve cover leak. Otherwise, it came with all books and papers and appears to have been well maintained at the Tulsa and OKC Land Rover dealers. All accessories work perfectly.
I introduced myself to the Land Rover specialty shop downtown, and it's a fantastic place with a general maintenance facility, a rebuild facility, and a 70,000 square foot indoor salvage yard upstairs.
Already picked up replacements for most of the broken or missing trim, and got a mint condition leather driver's seat to replace the torn one (for only $250... Beats re-upholstering).
It's a lot of car for $2,500.

Attached Thumbnails Potential 1st time LR owner.-image-2727402978.jpg   Potential 1st time LR owner.-image-817115830.jpg   Potential 1st time LR owner.-image-2499419152.jpg