New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Wanna be disco II owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 04:05 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanna be disco II owner

Hi all,
Just signed up this morning and I hope I'm not too much of a fraud as I dont yet own a Land Rover!
But I do plan to change that soon.
I'd like to buy a Discovery 2, around '02/'03 but Ive no idea what to look out for!
I'm looking for a commercial vehicle and of all the jeeps I've viewed I keep coming back to the disco.
I've only had a quick look thru the site and maybe with more time searching I'll find out all that I need to know, but in the meantime if anyone has any tips that they'd like to share about the obvious things to look out or questions to ask when viewing (eg. mods carried out, major known problems rectified etc.) I'd really appreciate it.
I'm hoping to look at a couple of them this week and I'd like to be better armed.

Cheers

Dave

Old 11-29-2011, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

see https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...scovery-21328/

However, no purchase check list beats an hour of a good mechanic's inspection.

Common problems are oil pump cracked and failing (mechanical PSI test a good idea), front drive shaft does not have grease nipples, causes shaft to fail and spear a hole in transmission, head gaskets, overheating (engine should be able to drive plus idle 20 minutes without needle going above 9:00 on gauge). Oil leaks expected.

Most common problem is that once in your driveway, it becomes your new master.

As far as commercial, they did make some without rear windows, but seldom see those in US where this forum is based. If shopping in the US, www.statewidelist.com will seach all of craigslist for you, in a certain state, and output by metro area.

Usually a good idea to look at several. But deals do pop up, best in recent times was a gal who bought her first car, a D2, for $2000, 117 miles, garaged since purchased by eccentric owner.

As far as purchasing a commercial fleet used Rover, would not think that would be a good idea in the US. These vehicles take too much maintenance for fleet use. So I would suspect that the vehicle would have suffered. Of course, that is also true of the "soccer mom" truck, driven 5 miles a day, oil changed once a year, etc.