New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

When does this Voyage of Discovery (II) end?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 06:43 PM
moj
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When does this Voyage of Discovery (II) end?

Hi all,

I've been using the info in these forums for about a year now, after buying a 2002 Disco II. It seemed like a good idea at the time. 18,000 miles later, I'm not so sure...

I bought it knowing it would need the three amigos fixed, so it was cheap, but:

Things I fixed last year:

Head gaskets, with head rebuilds, new plugs, oil/air filter etc.
Speedi Sleeve fix for the front crank oil seal
ABS pump plus dealer fluid change and bleed*
Radiator
Windshield
Drivers and passenger front window regulators and motors
Both rear central locking actuators (what a PITA)
Drivers seat position switch
All brake disks and pads
All shocks and steering damper (TerraFirma)
Front Drive shaft
Rear drive shaft (Britparts conversion to double UJ)
Rear bumper (which I cracked a week later off road)
Sunroof visor clips
MAF
Motor mounts

I also bought new Bridgestone Revo tires which I can't really blame it for I guess. One of the existing tires went oval though, that was fun - ever seen how a clown car drives?

I then found out that I don't have a CDL so I just bought a CDL equipped transfer case and an '04 lever which I will now need to fit.** It's a good job I enjoy rolling around on the floor getting oily I guess. :/

A question: When does the hemorrhaging stop? The MAF and rear drive shaft were in the last week! :| I haven't even done the motor mounts yet - Just ordered them.

* The $300 dealer bleed with the machine seemed to do nothing. Taking it off road and using the hill descent and traction control vigorously helped a lot with pedal feel.

** After going off road I knew I didn't NEED it as such (it's surprisingly good for a leather-clad school run princess - incredibly good in fact, as I'm sure most of you know) but come on, I want a CDL in my 4x4 and that's that.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

RE: When does the hemorrhaging stop?

When you sell it. Until then, the advanced circuitry of the wifi enabled ECU and alarm module knows whenever your bank account is showing any extra and then it will download sixteen new codes from the stealership as you get within wireless range. We think that Jaguars of a certain age may operate as wifi hot spots to extend the range of the stealership....

The following users liked this post:
Senormac (11-01-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 09:40 AM
Mudding
Received 73 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
RE: When does the hemorrhaging stop?

When you sell it. Until then, the advanced circuitry of the wifi enabled ECU and alarm module knows whenever your bank account is showing any extra and then it will download sixteen new codes from the stealership as you get within wireless range. We think that Jaguars of a certain age may operate as wifi hot spots to extend the range of the stealership....
Savannah,

As I pour about $3K into my '00 Disco II, I stumbled across this post. I totally love the humor, though it is completely true.

Thanks for making me laugh on a day when I keep using my credit card for parts.

H Hill