Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Advice needed on purchasing a Land Rover

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 01:33 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed on purchasing a Land Rover

Hello everyone,
I apologise if this is in the wrong section - I have just joined.

I need some advice on getting my first land rover. I'm 18 and live in the countryside in Lincolnshire. I don't need it for commuting or anything, I've just always wanted one, I love them. My father had a series 3 for many years when I was a child and I've always wanted to get my own.
He bought his as an ex-military one and cost him just over £3000.

However, as I am 18 my budget is around £2500 and I was wondering what I could get for this? I am prepared to do work on it as that it part of the appeal - as you will have guessed I am not mechanically savvy at the moment but I hope it could be a learning experience. And my dad has worked on land rovers a fair amount so is on hand to help free of charge.

What would you say are the things to look out for the most? For that price - what parts of the car should you be willing to let be broken or rusted when buying? What is the insurance cost likely to be and should you get it from any specific insurer? What is the best condition you could hope for at this price? How much do parts cost and how hard is doing work on a land rover?

Ideally I'd like a 70's/80's land rover, and I do have vague ideas about the answers to the questions above - but all input is helpful. Thanks

Last edited by SuchBants; 01-16-2016 at 01:52 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-16-2016, 09:26 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey pal,

Sorry that nobody has got back to you yet. Probably would have had better luck posting in the specific vehicles section, or New Member section. But that's okay.

As a former Defender driver and now a 2003 Discovery owner, I will try my best to answer your questions. I am not as familiar with some of the older models as have only seen these at classic car shows and such. But many Landys are quite similar in essence.

Personally, I find the older models to be more charming and characterful. Nice to see a young lad of 18 interested in classic Landies!

You are looking for a Series 3 or older Defender, correct?

I am originally from UK (now in US) and can tell you that Lincolnshire is a good place to be when looking for a Landy. Prices in UK will be much more acceptable. Defenders run upwards of $12,000 here which is outrageous. I suspect it will be hard to get hold of a Series 3 that is not beaten up or needs a lot of work. Check the Classic Car magazine, Auto Trader and the online classifieds section.

I would get networking with the boys at Rossendale Land Rover (visit their website and call them for a quick chat) - you can ask what they have in stock as far as 70s/80s models and what price range we'd be talking about. They are very friendly and will chat with you. Another good set of guys is Northwest Defenders and Pennine Auto. Bearing in mind pal, that you might have to travel more than 80 miles or so to get your dream car. Be prepared for this, just in case.

Work needed to be done will be variable, depending on the model. Things that usually need fixing might be: transmission, leaking fluids (very common) - so replacing all master cylinders that contact fluids (oil, brake, coolant reservoir etc), depending on mileage you might want to get a new timing belt, those usually go bad after 150k. Also fuel pump and crank sensors (I have had issues with my Discovery at 125,000 miles with these parts). The fuel pump and crank sensors affects whether the engine starts up or not. So if the engine is not starting, or is idling really rough, these parts probably will need to be replaced, or at the very least "checked".

Bulbs / lights. New tyres are a possibility. It really depends. Some cars have been better maintained than others.

All in all pal, since your Dad knows a bit more about these cars, I would take him with you when you go to look at the Landies, that way you will be able to know for sure what will need replacing. However, if you contact the above dealers they will usually be honest and forthcoming with what stuff needs fixing. So you will know exactly what you are getting.

In short: check classic car and off-road magazine (classifieds section), check online Auto Trader, do searches for Landies, contact the above dealers for questions and to ask what they have in, get your money ready and be prepared to put in some extra repair work. Make friends with your local mechanic, just in case your Dad gets stuck on how to fix something.

2500 quid is not unreasonable for an older Landy. You might want to save up another 500 or so for the additional repairs though. 3000-3500 pounds is more reasonable, unless you get lucky finding a private seller that is selling one cheap because he just "wants rid of it".

Good luck!!!

And if all fails with an older model, just pick up a 2003 / 2004 Discovery. Great cars. Quite powerful too - good chick magnet

Last edited by 4x4 Brad; 02-16-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:37 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Insurance cost at your age, considering you are in UK, might be between 2000 - 2500 quid for the year. This might seem excessive, but if you have any family whose insurance you can "get on" then it will be cheaper. Get your Mum or sister etc to add you to their insurance plan etc, it will work out not as bad.

I hate UK car insurance prices though. They are crazy high. I pay less than 30 quid a month here in America and I'm 29. In UK, it would cost me three times more.

Will this be your first car?

Last edited by 4x4 Brad; 02-16-2016 at 09:42 AM.