Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Different Parts Store's Attributes

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Different Parts Store's Attributes

So Buzz' thread reminded me to post this. I have three stores in my town; an O'Reilly's, Advance Auto, and Autozone. Each of these stores have their own advantages IMO. Of course, I'm just reflecting my town's stores.

O'Reillys are the underdog in my book. I like going there and supporting the small town almost locally-owned folks, plus, there slogan and song are awesome. "O, O , O, O'Reilly's! Auto Parts! " Anyways, I use their brand antifreeze. It seems they're the only cats in town that carry green pre-mixed. A lot of the time the employees are closer in age to myself and are actually pretty knowledgeable. I like their customer service and willingness to help. Prices are higher.

Advance Auto. I'm into the sport of monster truck racing and recently went out to Las Vegas for the World Finals again. And this year they were throwing out $5 off any purchase over $5 coupons! So recently I've been able to get various sockets, grease guns, and brake fluid for like $2. That's the main reason I go there, because lesbian manager with the mullet likes to think she's more knowledgeable than me. Their hours blow, too. What store closes at 6:30??

Autozone, good selection of stuff for sure. Before Ultra-Gauge I always went there and got codes scanned there, too. What really keeps me interested there is the rewards program, can't beat that. (Free $20 with 4 prior purchases of $20 or more). unfortunately, their customer service seems to be the worst out of the three and it seems they're always trying to sell you something that you don't need. A lot of them like to think they're Gods at fixing cars, too. They like to believe they are knowledgeable about Rovers and NO parts will cross-reference.

As i said, I'm sure it all varies town to town. But just thought I'd share since its too hot outside today to be working on ole' Landy.

What's everyone else's experiences?

Old 07-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I've got those and NAPA. And lots of them, seem to always build about a block apart. But this weekend ORielly's sold me front brake pads for SWMBO's ride, and I jacked it up, pulled off the wheel, got the brakes apart, and what do you know - new pads are no where near close. Drive back in another truck and swap. Manager does not even offer a discount, and I'm out like 2 gallons of gas and time. But I've had good and bad experiences at all these places, and it is probably best if you are an informed consumer when you go in there. I noticed that O'rielly's will loan torque wrenches and code reader.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may need to take them up on that torque wrench!

Old 07-15-2012, 02:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I like autozone the best because the prices are usually better than advanced auto, both will scan your codes though. Oreilly's is good for getting things like belt tensioner. You can get rover gaskets through napa. Advanced always rapes you on O2 sensors. Next time you want O2's go to Amazon.com. You can only get white shepard and certain synthetic fluids through advanced I've noticed.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:33 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have lived in a lot of towns over the last 15 years, I am in the army and moved frequently before that. I have found that O'rielly's has the best parts supplier. Speak with a manager there and get him to call the supplier, you will find they can order more Rover parts than the computer initally says. Most of the workers in O'rielly's tend to kno what they are talking about and customer service is great. Seems that they have the lower prices on most parts but all the items like tools, RTV, Spray Paint, Filters, Oil, etc, are priced higher than other places.
Advanced Auto seems like the workers are too busy to properly help customers and their employees can't think outside of what the computer screen tells them (Typically) That being said I have noticed that there stores are always busy, but everyone wants to talk to the only guy there that is knowledgable. I use them second for parts only if Orielly's can't get it, a few times they have been able to get the part i needed.
I do buy most of my oil, filters, RTV, etc. at Auto Zone, but that is absolutly it!!!! Only because of the Auto Zone rewards. I believe that most of their employees have never even changed their own oil. They have the worst parts selection on earth, and terrible prices to boot. I once had an Auto Zone employee literally yell at me that it was impossible to have a ford 460 in a 1969 ford f-100 cause it wasn't listed on his screen as a standard engine. And that it couldn't fit if it wasn't in the computer. Thats after i told him i swapped it myself. To make himself look dumber he told me I didn't know what I was talking about! So i popped my hood- he was wrong. Dumbass. Auto Zone most frequently sells parts that are non-compatable, mislabeled, or just outright wrong.
But most of the time i buy my parts on E-bay! Ohhh! and NAPA can get more parts than anywhere else, but they will always be the most expensive.