Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

A fire that started but couldn't be put out

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 01:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

9Well for whatever reason I cannot load my recent Rover photos...huh. Will have to try later. I'm sure everyone is sitting on the edge of their seats...ha!

Long day..drove to Penzance to pick up my brother in law traveling down from London. It started with hail right before I climbed Mt. Cornwall taking a footpath to the car park to fetch the rental car from hell. Congratulated myself for getting minimal mud on my jeans and boots and drove back down the 'hill' to the cottage where thete are no parking spots. My husband and brother in law suggested that we go back to the cottage for a bit prior to making up their minds as to what they wanted to do. I reminded them of the parking situation..no one seemed too bothered so we did the Chinese circus act on the said steep hill switching seats and taking out baggage so I could go back up to the car park. This time I decided to walk down the road because a van with 2 men spooked me hanging out by the entrance to the foot path. Got all the way down and promptly slipped in the mud. Was covered. Sunglasses, legs, wrists, sleeves, phone...boots. That's all ��

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 01-19-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I shouldn't complain really...it beats the snow back home and even the mud is pretty. I passed churches and fields, cottages and stiles while the embankments smelled of wild leeks and earth. Pink wildflowers are popping up here and there too. After all that, i finally reached the 'mothership':

It's a Nissan Qashqai...I shouldn't say it's the car from hell but it has soooooo many bells and whistles it will drive anyone mad. Firstly it has a proximity alarm..so if you're close to a hedgerow or something it won't stop alarming. Secondly, it has a push button start...and half the time you think the car is started so you step on the gas and you don't go anywhere! You end up pushing the button again and you finally get it going again only to go into energysaving mode at a roundabout. Give me my Rover anyday lol....I miss it.

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 02-02-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

sorry. Had to do it...

The following users liked this post:
KernowDiscovery (01-27-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 03:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

What's with the grass on the roofs? It seems like I can see some sort of shingle below, but the pictures are kind of fuzzy.

Looks like a great place to be, right now especially.

Safe travels and thank you for sharing.

Brian.

KernowDiscovery (01-27-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 05:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
What's with the grass on the roofs?
Manicured fungi.

The following 2 users liked this post by number9:
KernowDiscovery (01-27-2018), OffroadFrance (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 02:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Probably something that needs mowing.

Brian, those are thatched roofs on white washed cottages. Quite a few of them where we were visiting. It's amazing that they withstand the elements so well! And sparrows like to call them 'home'. I noticed that some of my photos aren't the 'clearest'..still haven't quite become an expert with it haha. Maybe someday.

Drove back to London yesterday ..few days here and back home soon. Hopefully the snow is gone!

��

Old 01-27-2018, 04:12 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
What's with the grass on the roofs? It seems like I can see some sort of shingle below, but the pictures are kind of fuzzy.

Looks like a great place to be, right now especially.

Safe travels and thank you for sharing.

Brian.
It's called 'reed thatching', it's also called 'quaint' ........ hmmm, it only lasts for around 25-40 years, it also burns very well during a chimney fire, some people love it, they think it looks 'quaint' but I just see it as a liability, nice on someone else's house I reckon, not mine.

https://www.google.fr/search?q=reed+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

The Deputy (02-02-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 04:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle

A few more photos..a little closer up:

Well apparently they aren't uploading..hmm. I swear this phone hates me. Maybe it's my attitude today..left my husband and father-in-law to return the car from hell by themselves after receiving a curt good morning and many 'insults' about being 2 minutes late. I just put my hands up in the air and said 'drive safe and I'll hopefully see you later'.

Men!

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 01-27-2018 at 04:55 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thought I'd wrap up this conversation now that I'm home. Here's the close-up of the thatching Brian:

Thanks for keeping the thread on topic by talking about fires that can't be put out, Offroad Yeah, I can imagine they'd be troublesome if a match was lit. Apparently thatched cottages are also referred to as 'chocolate boxes' due to their charm. Who knew.

My father-in-law felt bad and gave me a peace offering later in the day. Humbugs.. a candy that I bring back for my boss but all these years he thought I liked them - haha.

The sun did come out while we were there - it was really a nice stay and the locals were friendly and welcoming. Here are a few shots of the area:

and so that I do not stray too far from topic - here's a lovely Disco that makes mine look like gold:

I'd say that it has a little suspension issue.. how about you?

We had a quiet flight back and a nice photo opportunity at 33,000' over the Glaciers in Greenland:

I had fun but it's good to be back home. I missed my Rover.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

This roof looks like it has a path mowed through it...lol.

Just joking, sounds like a heck of a trip. Looks a lot nicer, weather wise, than what we are dealing with here. Granted, the picture of Iceland made me feel at home.

Glad you're home safe and sound. Give your rover a scratch behind the ear from me.

Brian.

Quick Reply: A fire that started but couldn't be put out