Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

The future of parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 08:27 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default The future of parts

Lets face it the biggest issue with any vehicle as it gets older is parts. Now moving parts and electrical parts are difficult. But what about the not so moving parts like plastic trim pieces, mirror covers or interior items. Using a 3D printer a dealer can now print up a replacement part. All that is needed is the program from the OEM. Imagine you need a mirror cover and its on back order. Now the dealer can call the manufacturer and send the program and print you the part at the dealership. Perfect OEM fit and who knows it might be better quality. You could get the interior in a different color if you like. 390,000 colors available. Not difficult. This way you now have a part that fits right and you get it the same day. Its cheaper and easier on everyone. You dont have to wait for the OEM to make the order to make the part to a supplier or license it out. You could get a plastic *** for a 72 Ford galaxy. The ford dealer would just make it while you wait. Depending on size. Plus its environmentally friendly. Do you know how many people it takes to get a part to the parts dept. How many times it gets shipped. It costs money and oil to ship parts to several warehouses. Now it can be done right there. Yes, no engine parts or suspension parts but who knows with the right plastic you could have a new valve cover thats a different color. Or you could get that plastic mirror cover that day and have it painted. Body shops could have less down time. It would save so much money. The OEMs can charge very little or a lot depending on the part. But since they are eliminating the middle man they don't have to spend that much money at all. Heck it would put a dent in Ebay's business but at the same time the right part at exact time. Can't beat that. No more parts sitting on a shelf for months waiting to get bought. Plus the program can print only one part with each program sent at a time. To reduce extra parts being made on the cheap.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Some of the faculty I know got a large DARPA grant for that, to establish a nationwide network of 3D printers and CNC gear on a shared network, training programs starting in 2000 high schools, everything networked (sorta like eBay - factory would bid on the parts and churn them out). Idea is to shorten production time for new military gear. We don't care which factory in the US makes the widget to spec, we just need 100 of them yesterday.

Another problem is dealers reducing overhead and stock on older parts. My Benz blew a top radiator hose one mile from the dealer. I made a duct tape repair, added water I had with me, and coolant temps came back to reason. Rolled into the dealer, only to find they no longer stock most parts for my oldie. Bet this will happen to Rover owners as well someday, and having a care-package with you can save the day.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

3d printers cost more then both my trucks put together. ill stick with paul grant for used parts for now.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:09 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Some of the faculty I know got a large DARPA grant for that, to establish a nationwide network of 3D printers and CNC gear on a shared network, training programs starting in 2000 high schools, everything networked (sorta like eBay - factory would bid on the parts and churn them out). Idea is to shorten production time for new military gear. We don't care which factory in the US makes the widget to spec, we just need 100 of them yesterday.

Another problem is dealers reducing overhead and stock on older parts. My Benz blew a top radiator hose one mile from the dealer. I made a duct tape repair, added water I had with me, and coolant temps came back to reason. Rolled into the dealer, only to find they no longer stock most parts for my oldie. Bet this will happen to Rover owners as well someday, and having a care-package with you can save the day.

You said a darpa grant right. What if the OEMs and the military worked together to form a company that can be relied on in any part of the country to produce the parts. Instead of being idle and cost taxpayers money. We can produce the parts on an as need basis for everyone and the govt can get back much of their initial investment.