Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Genuine brake rotors and pads for cheap from John Craddock ltd ($222.89)

Old 04-12-2017, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Don't worry he's got it covered...

Old 04-12-2017, 01:15 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto

You were warned... You paid $72 more than you would have from Lucky8 for the same parts, and Lucky8 lost a sale to an overseas company that doesn't support the US Land Rover enthusiast community.

Inconclusive. Lucky8 does not appear to stock or sell genuine rotors. Again same part numbers but aftermarket makes. Not sure which make theirs are. Had I chose the correct Genuine rotors they still would have been cheaper shipped from the UK than in the states. From what I can tell no domestic company can compare to Craddocks affordable shipping costs and super fast shipping times. The next time I need rotors I will make dam sure I order the correct Genuine parts from John Craddock. Least not forget the Genuine pads I also ordered for cheap compared to domestically.

John Craddock like Turner Engineering have been supporting Land Rover enthusiasts around the globe for decades. The UK offers competitive prices and larger inventory of Genuine and aftermarket parts and accessories for D2's and other Rovers.

You know very well that Ive spent enough $$$$ with domestic suppliers over the years. Time for a change
Plus Im always happy to support the British pound.

Last edited by TRIARII; 04-12-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Yes, very much conclusive. You ordered Genuine pads and aftermarket rotors(which I mentioned here)
Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Plot twist, the cost from Land Rover of those rotors from Rover is more than what you paid, so they're not going to be genuine.

They do however sell the genuine ones here. - https://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/la...2-genuine.html

Same goes for the rear -
https://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/la...scovery-2.html

So after telling you that you had genuine pads and aftermarket rotors, Erik posted what it would cost for the same, genuine pads and aftermarket rotors.

Name:  Fxoq21Z.png
Views: 4
Size:  229.0 KB

So when you write:

Originally Posted by TRIARII
IFrom what I can tell no domestic company can compare to Craddocks affordable shipping costs and super fast shipping times. .

That is incorrect, as you would have been 1-2 days away for shipping, and you would have saved money.

It comes down to this- You can be a smart consumer and purchase certain things direct from the UK when it's cheaper to, and buy from the US distributors when it's not, or you can just buy everything from the UK and lose on some things(like this purchase) and save money on others.

My point is that this thread has only shown people that it's not always the smartest decision to buy from the UK.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

I'd like to buy domestically, heck I would if the price was somewhat close... but I've priced out the past couple dozen orders I've made, and I always save at least 2x, often 3-10x, by going overseas.
Cam bearings? $25 from the UK (made in the USA ironically), vs $160 in the US
Terrafirma beadlock wheels? $950 shipped for a set of 5 from UK, would be something like $1500+ here.
Even the TF bumper I just bought was 40% cheaper overseas, shipped.

The only things I've bought recently in the US, were rotors, calipers, pads, brake lines, HD driveshafts (tom woods), lift kit.

The other interesting thing I've noted, is that you pay $0 import duties for an order under ~$1000 (lrdirect.com).

I think domestic suppliers need to re-think their pricing strategy to stay competitive, especially with the dropping sterling. I feel bad bringing light to this, but at the same time, the cost differences simply can't be ignored.

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 04-12-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:02 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake

I think domestic suppliers need to re-think their pricing strategy to stay competitive, especially with the dropping sterling. I feel bad bringing light to this, but at the same time, the cost differences simply can't be ignored.

Why don't you write the government a letter and ask them to "re-think" their heavy taxing of businesses. Or maybe you could ask landroverforums.com not to take our payment for forum sponsorship. But then where would people like you go to bitch about the people paying for the place to bitch?

It's a fickle bitch, isn't it?

Old 04-12-2017, 03:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by WNYErikDiscoII
Why don't you write the government a letter and ask them to "re-think" their heavy taxing of businesses. Or maybe you could ask landroverforums.com not to take our payment for forum sponsorship. But then where would people like you go to bitch about the people paying for the place to bitch?

It's a fickle bitch, isn't it?
So all you gathered from my experience was to pass blame to the government and add snide remarks to your customer.

I respect the honesty though. I run a small business myself and sometimes dream of calling out customers, but I don't because it's bad for business.

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (04-13-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 04:34 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
So all you gathered from my experience was to pass blame to the government and add snide remarks to your customer.

I respect the honesty though. I run a small business myself and sometimes dream of calling out customers, but I don't because it's bad for business.

I'm not passing any blame. You said we should re-think our price strategy and I simply offered an explanation as to why it isn't that easy. There is nothing to re-think when we are paying 10-20% more in government fees and taxes upon importing things. You don't see those added fees when ordering direct because your dollar value stays low. And I didn't call anyone out. I replied to a combative comment with a detailed explanation as to why running a business isn't as simple as one may think. As a small business owner you should know that firsthand.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:42 PM
TReK

Mr Zack Griswold: You are misunderstanding me big time, so I will try to clarify it for you. The point behind this thread is to highlight the fact that "GENUINE" brake disk rotors and brake pads are cheaper shipped from suppliers in the UK than from US suppliers such as Rovers North, Lucky 8, Atlantic British and Autozone. I have not compared the price of aftermarket brake parts mostly because I dont care for aftermarket parts. Lets try to stay on topic here.

Furthermore I do not dispute the notion that some LR parts are cheaper to buy domestically. I also did not intentionally order aftermarket rotors for my rig. Thus I do not care about the cost of aftermarket rotors. Genuine and aftermarket rotors for the D2 use the same 9 digit part number, but use additional letters on the end to differentiate. I simply forgot to type in "GEN" into the search bar on the John Craddock website. Consequently I added the first listing to the cart and submitted the order, believing I just purchased Genuine rotors.

The shopping cart's speak for themselves:

Price includes shipping.

Price DOES NOT include shipping.

Price DOES NOT include shipping.

£426.47 + £80 for 4-day (assuming parts are in stock) shipping = $634.10

Last edited by TRIARII; 04-15-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

That price from the U.K. is not a great deal.

You can get a better price from a dealer in the USA, still not as good as getting the genuine pads and aftermarket rotors from one of these guys that posted here, but it just proves that shipping heavy things from the U.K isn't very cost effective sometimes.

Genuine brake rotors and pads for cheap from John Craddock ltd (2.89)-img_1251.png

Old 04-16-2017, 10:55 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by jafir
That price from the U.K. is not a great deal.

You can get a better price from a dealer in the USA, still not as good as getting the genuine pads and aftermarket rotors from one of these guys that posted here, but it just proves that shipping heavy things from the U.K isn't very cost effective sometimes.

Attachment 32299
Are you mad? It cost between $45-$75 for same kit shipped from Atlantic British to my address. AB is what? 4 hours south of me? I dont dare even ask how much Rovers North charges for shipping... $100 for 4 rotors and 8 pads shipped across the ocean and at my door in 4 days is not bad at all in my opinion. Hell shipping my engine from Turner to my mechanics shop was pretty cheap as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Genuine brake rotors and pads for cheap from John Craddock ltd ($222.89)